12 Replies - 3875 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What linux do you use and why ?

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

i use windows 7 and i would like to use linux but i don't know what one i should go for ?. i have used ubuntu and i really liked it but had to go back to windows because of one of the programs i use only work on mac os x and windows. i know of this program called wine that lets you use windows programs on linux but it did not work :(. i also did not wont to use a vm so i want back to window :( .

so what os do you use and why and what one do you think i should use ?

i use my pc for programing (c++)and internet browser also i do like to play a good rpg now and then but i think i might just get an xbox for that :)

thanks guys

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: What linux do you use and why ?

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What linux do you use and why ?

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

The only one that can anwser your question is YOU. Download a few distros and give them a try.

Why no VM? I am a big fan. Windows 7 is my main OS and in the VM I have W2K, XP, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, and Gentoo (Yes I am trying em out to find one I like)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

It entirely depends on the specs of your machine but I run VMs and have many installed on my Mac and they run fine. Of course if your machine is lacking in specs, it might become an issue but otherwise, I'm a huge fan.

As for Linux distros, as GunnerInc says, it's entirely up to you. HOWEVER, it would appear you're fairly new to Linux (I'm taking an assumption) so my recommendation is to stick with easier distros that are more suited for beginners until you get a better understanding of Linux in general. Maybe try a couple different ones.

The top choices for starter Linux are the generally Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSUSE, etc... I wouldn't recommend something like Gentoo unless you seriously know your way around Linux.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 15 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

If anything I judge rather heavily on the base of the system and availible packages for newer users, and often for myself for convenience. (There's a difference in knowing how to build from source and doing it for quite literally everything...)

Debian and RHEL normally have the most packages ready to go, Arch seems to be up there as well but I don't have an incredible amount of experience with it.

Check into DistroWatch, they normally have some insightful materials.

If you're judging solely on the GUI, you might have some issues. Judge based on software repos, stability, security, and community. You can get whatever you want on there by just tweaking startx anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

Mint is the easiest route if you are new like I would be if I ever switch to Linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

I would go with Ubuntu or Mint. I have both of them running as VMs on my Mac. Ubuntu is nice, it has a really good community too. If you ever have a question about Ubuntu, just go to Ubuntu forums. There's some nice tutorials there too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have used Fedora, Ubuntu and Archlinux.

Personally my favorite is Archlinux, but it isn't what I would call the most mature distro. It doesn't work out of the box with VMWare (well, vmware tools) as a guest OS, and it has quite a bit of non-standard things about it (well, non-standard as opposed to Ubuntu).

Ubuntu is great as it typically just works as far as linux distros go. You can install new, and get an LAMP server (or XAMPP if you would prefer) up and running in no time, which is great. It is a bit bloated though as far as distros I have tried go (granted, Fedora seems much the same as far as bloat goes).

Fedora is one I tried out previously (back at version 7) and couldn't stand. It was very difficult to use and seemed like more work than it was. However, as of version 16 it works much better. The install is quick and it has a fairly powerful package manager (not to mention a ton of packages). It is a pretty nifty thing, but arguably requires the most *nix knowledge of the 3 I have talked about.

Basically, if you are just starting out with linux I would strongly suggest taking a look at Ubuntu, it is nice and easy to learn and fairly nooby-friendly.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have a different aspect on "learning" than most. The first linux distro I tried was Mandrake 5 that I bought at Walmart! like a dumb ass! Nothing worked, but after going back and forth between box to box burning cd's and floppys at 12 years old, I'd eventually get some things to work. I then moved on to RedHat. Same thing, wireless internet, graphics (basic things that you must have) just didn't work! It was VERY frustrating, however through the process I learned more about what LINUX actually is, as well as exactly how a system works. By the time I tried Ubuntu I was confused as to what "SUDO" was... but I feel that if I hadn't learned so much about nix then I'd never really notice that it was. Ubuntu is REALLY, really cool. But, if you really want to "learn" linux, try starting by getting a simple VPS with a SSH terminal, and configure your own server/mailing daemon/managing your own users/killing hog apps, etc. It'll be fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

If it is your first then have a look around to see which you like the look of. If your technically minded then you can make any distro look like another (they all have interchangable desktop environments) but otherwise, choose what you would like to use.

Avoid Gentoo or Arch (and any others that are CLI based or need compiling).. unless you think you can do it. I still cannot get Arch running on mine, but I think I have a minor hardware problem as I have installed it on many other people's computers!

I personally like Fedora the most, as it is not as dumbed down as Ubuntu but also not as advanced (well, not by default anyway) as Arch and Gentoo. Sabayon and Mandrivia (nearly wrote Mandrake :P) were my first ones, they were very good but have not used recent versions.

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 03 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

I use Linux Slackware. I like that it doesn't come with bloatware, & I've just used it for a long time, so it is what I am used to using.

Though recently I've started outfitting my shop with PCBSD, which isn't Linux at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

I have been using PCLinuxOS for quite awhile. The reason I started with this distro is because I was having problems with several other distros detecting all the hardware I had at the time. PCLinuxOS detected all my hardware and everything worked without any problems. The hardware that was causing the problem at that time was a pcmica network card.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have been using Arch Linux. It has let me build up a whole system from scratch around exactly what I want, and nothing else. It also lets me use the most recent software updates, such as Gnome 3 and kernel 3.2.5. There is a great level of support for dealing with common problems on the Arch wiki. I'm really happy with it so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

So I am using Ubuntu.

You ask a good question however. Why? Well I will tell you. The first reason was I thought I needed to I am a nerd. Also I could never get WAMP to work so I wanted to try LAMP. During this time I did not use Linux much. Then I started thinking to myself maybe I should use it more often. I did not right away. And I could also not get the hang of Visual Express.

Then there was Christmas.

I got a bunch of PC games most of them Windows. You might be wondering how that drew me towards linux well... My computer was never really stable I have needed to change a lot of parts during its life. The games really showed me the faults in my hardware. I tried to diagnose the problem by myself for three weeks. Never found it. Brought it to to a shop for diagnosing they never found anything. Even got my video card checked independently nope nada. Eventually let me say that after every reinstall of Windows, the situation would deteriorate and I tried. I tried 3 times.

Meanwhile I would use Ubuntu. For every minute I could use Windows Ubuntu would run for ten. This helped me decide it was probably some driver issues. But by then I could care less about Windows I was getting a better user experience on Ubuntu. Eventually I just stopped trying to run windows and since then things on Ubuntu settled down.

I could tell you how much that changed me however that is another story.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1