14 Replies - 675 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2012 - 03:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Could a 1TB of memory reduce the chance of lag when programming a game

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'd thought about programming a very big map, that is meant to be like a MMORTS, but a big map that can handle about 64 players and 64 NPC's going at it in a test map. But would a Terabyte internal hard drive reduce the chance of a major lag or worse? Just asking, thx.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Could a 1TB of memory reduce the chance of lag when programming a game

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Could a 1TB of memory reduce the chance of lag when programming a game

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

A question back to you - why would *you* believe a terabyte hard drive would reduce some amorphous lag issue?

And with that what sort of lag are you talking about?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

And why would you load such a big map all at once?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Having more space won't make the game run faster, what you need to look at is the drives rpm(revolutions per minute) or just get a solid state drive, because they can read and write data faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 16 January 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

I was thinking of developing a 128 player max map and this is only gonna be one out of many maps that I am thinking of programming.

View Postmodi123_1, on 16 January 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

A question back to you - why would *you* believe a terabyte hard drive would reduce some amorphous lag issue?

And with that what sort of lag are you talking about?

I don't know, I've never done that before. I only use a 500GB drive and I've never used a Terabyte or higher.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

I don't know, I've never done that before. I only use a 500GB drive and I've never used a Terabyte or higher.

Okay so again would it seem logical that a larger hard drive would affect some amorphous lag notion? My general thrust here is I am interested in understanding your connection of hard drive size and lag. Nothing more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

If going by the topic you entered:

Could a 1TB of memory reduce the chance of lag when programming a game

The answer to that question is absolutely! If you can afford 1TB of RAM and your MOBO can fit it (and the CPU is 64bit).

A hard drive really has nothing to do with a running program really. You the programmer does, and the available RAM. Your program and maps get loaded into RAM and if not enough RAM then it gets swapped to disk.

But if you are writing a game for everyone to use, then you have to program for the least common denominator. If you have a 20 core, 16gigs of RAM, NOT everyone else using your game will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 16 January 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

<snip>
But if you are writing a game for everyone to use, then you have to program for the least common denominator. If you have a 20 core, 16gigs of RAM, NOT everyone else using your game will.

What if the ones *worthy* enough to play your game must have the twenty cores and sixteen gigs of ram? Hahahaha..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 16 January 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

View PostGunnerInc, on 16 January 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

<snip>

What if the ones *worthy* enough to play your game must have the twenty cores and sixteen gigs of ram? Hahahaha..

That could be expensive, I'll have to save up the money in order to get the RAM's and probably I'll have to get a new gaming motherboard from ATI. I bet there's a 8GB RAM stick, I could possibly fit it on the slots.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postcodeofc, on 17 January 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Having more space won't make the game run faster, what you need to look at is the drives rpm(revolutions per minute) or just get a solid state drive, because they can read and write data faster.

Even SSDs slow down without the right countermeasures.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 16 January 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

A big map means a whole lot can happen on a RTS Battlefield, and not just the players but the number of units. If both factions were to battle it out on a Immense map, the goal is to eliminate 1 base at a time, its mostly based on the time it takes to eliminate your opponent. If you wait too long, the more difficult it becomes to defeat your opponent. I usually like to plan BIG. I have Unity3D I have MS VB 2010 with XNA c# programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

The object of the game is to eliminate all players who are a "Faction". for example you have 2 factions at war, a big map to control, and the number of units(based on logistic points and research skills) can prove to be an interesting game. But here's the catch... I am thinking of programming a "Spawn Tower" randomly scattered throughout the map. What it does is, first you have to send a Engineer unit to take it over. It will cost you some energy from your Power plants, then there will be a timeline of x minutes to re-spawn a limited number of your own units. For 1 spawn tower, it can have a cool down period of no more than 15 minutes unless you find another spawn tower and take it over, the time will decrease. But the tower itself can be destroyed by enemy fire, in which you will no longer re-spawn units unless you take over another tower. I'll explain more later on when I put in some code. But the game ends when all of the opposing units from opposing players from the faction you are going against. You may quit, but you'll lose all those points from that game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

View PostGunnerInc, on 16 January 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

The answer to that question is absolutely! If you can afford 1TB of RAM and your MOBO can fit it (and the CPU is 64bit).

I think the OP was talking about 1TB of storage not 1TB of RAM. So the answer is no.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Never mind the clients for such an MMORTS, the server would have to have pretty awesome specs. That said, hard disk space or memory won't reduce lag. What causes the mysterious lag you are talking about is network traffic. The farther a packet of data has to travel over the net the bigger the lag. It just doesn't have to do with distance a packet travels as well. It depends on the number of stops it has to make along the way. Passing through a router or a modem makes the lag increase. All the memory or hard disk space in the world won't make up for the fact that the electrons have to travel a long distance between computers and won't make up for lag. If you're talking loading time for a map as your lag then you'd need faster through put from your storage. You can RAID together disks to make reading/writing data faster. I'd make sure to use a RAID that has has fault tolerance so if a disk fails you don't lose all of your data. Again you're approaching the fact that technology can only perform so fast and pushing it too hard will cause failure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostCSSUcommand, on 16 January 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

I'd thought about programming a very big map, that is meant to be like a MMORTS, but a big map that can handle about 64 players and 64 NPC's going at it in a test map. But would a Terabyte internal hard drive reduce the chance of a major lag or worse? Just asking, thx.

There are some very important details being missed here - in addition to breaking some fundamental rules in programming games. It is clear that you have dived into this 'project' without having done any research. Anyway...

When you say 'loading an entire map', are you including the textures and everything that goes with a map - including objects in the world as well all in one go? I hope not, because you will give me nightmares!

Have you heard of space partitioning algorithms (like binary and quad-tree space partitioning) and triggers? Essentially you divide the world space into appropriate portions and you set up a trigger to indicate when you are moving from one portion of the map to another - destroying the current portion in memory that fired the trigger and loading the adjacent portion. The way that you are planning it has so many technical issues that to even list them will be lengthy; it actually wouldn't surprise me that if you attempted this the game would immediately crash, since the data is large, likely to quickly become fragmented, and memory leaking everywhere, to mention a small bit of what could go wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1