4 Replies - 4117 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Commission Question?

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Another developer asked me online if I would post his widgets in the Android Market, since he wasn't able to post in the US market. He's already agreed to let me review all code associated with the apps (so that I can make sure there are no viruses or malware involved), so my only question is how much of a commission I should charge. His opening offer was 10%, but I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, since I'm not actually writing the apps, just hosting them. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Commission Question?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Commission Question?

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

What do you mean "he wasn't able to post in the US market" ? What sort of apps are these?

I would figure if you are hosting them.. your name's on it if everything goes to pot.. and your account is on the line I would ask for a bit more. Not to mention you are the one with the hands on the account the funds are coming into, right? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

They're just widgets - buttons on the home screen that allow the user to turn Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, etc. on or off. And yeah, I figured he probably lowballed for a first offer, I'm just wondering what a fair commission would be - maybe around 20 or 25%?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Well that's up to you. How much would it annoy you if your account was suspended? Take that with some probability on risk and etc.. and see what feels right for taking that risk.

Okay - then educate me here. I don't understand why this individual cannot sell the apps themselves... and why it is specifically restricted from the US. Is that some Android deal, or am I missing something here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Well, I think I'll be okay on the risk - I am reviewing all of the code and rebuilding it myself, so there will be no malicious software. If I see anything suspicious, I won't host it, simple as that. And I'm not sure exactly why he can't sell it himself - some of the Android licensing stuff is pretty weird, as far as I know. I don't really account with it much, I just mark as many country boxes as are available to me. He's based in the UK, so I really don't know why he wouldn't be allowed to sell in the US, but if there's a chance to make some money off of it, I'll just have to be careful. I'm a college student, so pocket money is always appreciated. XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1