2 Replies - 736 Views - Last Post: 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

DREAM needs you! Looking for VOLUNTEER C#/XNA/OpenGL Programmers

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hi! I have started a project, a GCS (Game Creation System) I have named DREAM. Here is a link to its Sourceforge page:
https://sourceforge....dreamgcs/admin/

I have a lot of ideas for this project, and as I say below, am currently serving as its director and visionary. DREAM has been in the back of my mind for many years, the ideas I have for it come from the use of many different editors and programs during that time. I'm really excited to watch this project grow and see DREAM manifest!

The requirements are as follows (as posted in the WIKI):
1. You must have a natural affinity towards whatever it is you wish to do for DREAM. In other words you not only need the skills and talents required, you must have a draw towards using them for that purpose. Working on DREAM in your chosen area must be something you enjoying doing!

2. It must flow in the natural course of your life to work on DREAM. In other words you may meet the first requirement, but perhaps there is an opportunity to use the same skills, abilities and drive for another, perhaps more important purpose. You need to be sure that DREAM is the right opportunity for you! On the other hand you may work at a 9-5 job you hate simply because you have family or monetary obligations. I would never encourage you to ignore these, but I truly believe that nobody should work at a job they hate, especially if it does not make use of their unique skills and abilities! In my mind this is a job that does not flow with their Life's Purpose! If it were me I would re-examine my life and perhaps take a leap of faith to work on DREAM.

This project is open source and its focus is not on making money. We will survive on the donations of our supporters and we will be held accountable for how we use those funds. Later it may work out for us to design the game I have in mind, and that can be sold commercially for a small fee, giving all of us money to live on. But the engine and the tools will need to be created first!

My approach here is unique and what some would call crazy or stupid. I currently serve DREAM only as its visionary and director, and will only continue to work in this capacity as long as it flows in my Life's Purpose. If a feature should be implemented, the opportunity to do so will manifest. If people are needed, they will come. Basically if it is meant to be it will be. I will not attempt to control this project. It will be owned by everyone who works on it, and nobody at the same time.

If you are still interested in signing up just send me a message or post here! Remember you have to be a Sourceforge member to send a message there or joint this project. Currently DREAM needs everyone; from coders (programmers) to work on the engine, to artists to work on the UI and textures, to interface designers to work on user input, to legal advisers to figure out the best license for this project and protect DREAM. No position is too small or too big, no position is more or less important, all are of equal importance and value to the project.

Together let's breathe life into DREAM!

- DreamBliss

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: DREAM needs you! Looking for VOLUNTEER C#/XNA/OpenGL Programmers

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: DREAM needs you! Looking for VOLUNTEER C#/XNA/OpenGL Programmers

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hey man, i have to say i like your posting style. Positive, nice to read and easy on the eyes. I wish more people in this part of the forum would write OPs like you :)

I am missing a bit of the technical parts trough. Could you for example tell us how DREAM would compare to other game creation kits like, lets say, game maker, UDK, unity or maybe even flash? I think many people here would like to get a feel for the scope of the project.

Could you maybe divulge what kind of initial game you'd wish to create with DREAM?

Something else i'm missing is a bit more inforation about yourself... Are you a software developer yourself for example?
If so, could you show us some samples and info about what you're good at?
If not, could you give us an overview of your experience in the field of game developement and what your tasks will be during the development of DREAM?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: DREAM needs you! Looking for VOLUNTEER C#/XNA/OpenGL Programmers

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

In answer to your first question DREAM will be an all-in-one program. In other words for the UDK you would need 3DS Max, Maya, or something similar for models, characters, and animations. You would also need Photoshop or something similar for textures. DREAM will incorporate all of this. It will not be as advanced as Photoshop, but it does not need to be. You only need support for layers, good drawing tools, a good tillable texture tool ,and so forth because the focus is on texture creation. Likewise you won't need all the bells and whistles in Max to create models and characters, unless you want to do more advanced work. The goal behind DREAM is simplicity. It is to make it as easy and straightforward as possible to create everything you need for a game all in one program.

DREAM will not have, at least initially, state of the art graphics. It will be all about features and functionality. Think graphics of Unreal Tournament to UT 2004 with the ease-of-use of UnrealED for the creation of game worlds.

I have outlined much of this at the WIKI:
https://sourceforge....mgcs/wiki/Home/

Here's another thread with more information:
http://www.dreamview...tem-gcs-126135/

The first game I would like to make, and I am still debating if it should be free or released for a small amount, is a 3d, interactive, dream translation game. A game where the user can input their own unique dream symbolism, design their own objects, and basically explore their own dreams in a 3D environment, helping them to translate them. Think interactive, 3D, dream translator/explorer. Maybe with an option to share their dream worlds with others.

Another game I would love to do, if I am able to get licensing permissions, is a sequel to Red Asphalt, an old combat racer for the Playstation. I envision an entire 3D world, really worlds or universes, but each world has different places to race and that player is allowed to go out and explore these areas, find parts, etc. Think RPG/Racing/Adventure.

I also have an idea for an RPG where the player has literally an entire planet to explore. I would like to make it so the player could do anything in the game they could do in real life. Run, jump, climb, etc. DREAM will have a procedural building generator built in, so it will be very easy to design entire cities or villages.

I wouldn't mind overhauling and resurrecting the Myst universe either, again if I could get the licensing.

I am not a software developer or a professional in any field within the game industry. I was for many years a simple mapper, modeler and teacher, all as a hobby. I ran my own website for a while where I shared my work. Sadly this site no longer exists. I am simply an artist who loves video games and dislikes what the industry is doing to them. I don't see the advancements in technology, features, and interactivity that I feel should be there, should have been there for many years now. The industry is obsessed with making games that are unoriginal, graphic intensive, feature poor, and far too short. On top of that features like offline split-screen support have gone the way of the dinosaur. Finally game console developers are not providing backwards compatibility, so the game you paid $60.00 for and which you enjoy will no longer work on the newer version of the console.

My final plan for DREAM, should it flow and work out to do, is to show game and console developers how they should be doing things. I have sketched out the details for a game console system running DREAM. I'm keeping further information on this a secret for now, for obvious reasons.

FYI... When I say, "DREAM will this..." and "DREAM will that..." this is what I intend, what I envision. But remember that I serve only as the director and visionary. If these things do not flow within the scope of this project to be done they most likely will not be done, at least until they do, if they do. I will give my directions, state my intentions, and let what happens happen. DREAM will be exactly what it is meant to be, and that may not be exactly what I intended or envisioned it to be. It will be hard for me, because this project means so much to me, but I must have no expectations, no attachment, no aversion. I must be open at all times to whatever happens as the development of the project progresses.

In answer to your last two questions I will serve DREAM as its director and visionary. Whatever the official title you give to a project originator and idea man. I may also serve as a modeler and level designer. These are the things I have the most skills and abilities in - what I am good at. Depending on what I learn during the project's development I may even be able to help a little as a programmer. But there is only the slimmest chance of that - I have little programming knowledge - just some college education and a basic sense of the processes.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
- DreamBliss
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1