12 Replies - 468 Views - Last Post: 18 January 2012 - 02:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What to know before starting with games?

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Okay.. my friend is trying to get me to learn C++, as we are going for Game Programming.

But what aspect is needed to learn before i could start with DirectX and so on?

Really hard for me as i know alittle bit but idk when to start on Game Programming.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What to know before starting with games?

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What to know before starting with games?

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

You need to be comfortable in C or C++; the list of things you need to know changes from style to style but by any practical standard it's not an easy list to enumerate.

I'll try to generalize:

understand what is needed to get from a certain input to a certain output; understand what features of the language allow for you to get form the input to the desired output.

this means be able to manipulate control flow and data though many of the languages constructs and know how to put the pieces together in a way that makes sense.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 18 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well i know how to use like all of the types of variables.. Basic once.. Switch, IF and ELSE .. i am trying to learn While and so on now.. But well.. not sure yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm going to say you're not even close.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Jackofalltrades, you are not helping much..

Could you not even tell me where i should continue to learn or what i should continue to learn ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

@Miikalsen: If you are just starting out, you'll have to learn quite a bit before you get anywhere close to that. I believe this site has some tutorials on it for C++ (Infact, here it is: http://www.dreaminco...8-c-tutorials/) You might want to click the basics first. :)

Don't expect to be making Window's show up on your screen your first day, that will take some time first. ;) Make a guess numbers game in the console first, make something that tells you what numbers you typed in. Those are all very valid uses of Input and Output and will teach you the basics you need to know before trying anything more challenging.

Secondly, do you have Compiler yet? If not, you will need a C++ Compiler. Assuming you are on Windows, you can grab Visual Studio Express for free right from Microsoft's website. :)

Once you learn the basics, you should learn the basics of the Win32 API (If you want to learn DX that is), mainly what Handles, LPARAMs, WParams, Message pumps, etc. Are. These are used in DX as well. But first, you'll need to complete Step one before you can get anywhere near this stuff and hope to understand it. ;)

Hopefully this helps you out, if you want me to clear anything else up let me know okay? :)

- Tabitha
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well Thanks for the answer Tabitha, like i made advance calculator with the use of case and getting userinput and so on.. But ill try to learn some more and well.. When i feel that i could start with games ill get a mentor or something from here to rate me..

Thanks for the answer, still looking for tips though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

That's a good step, that would an good example of taking input from the user (Numbers and Signs) and calculating them and displaying them to the user (Output). :)

While and For loops are quite useful by the way (I did not see that the first time I looked at you posts :P). For loops let you execute a section of code for a specified number of times. These can be great if you need to cycle through array. For example, you have 20 Enemies on your screen, and you want to give them all health, you could use a for loop to cycle through the array and set their health to 20. Though this is just a general example :)

While loops are useful too, they let you execute the same lines of code until you need to stop doing so. For example, WHILE the user is still playing your game (Or using your application, etc) you would execute the lines regarding the game. And when they quit, you would break out of this loop by making that line false. Here's some example code to get my point across (Because my explanation is rather lousy :P)

#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	bool bPlaying = true;
	int nInput = NULL;

cout << "You are now playing this program, press the 'a' key to quit the game" << endl;

while(bPlaying == true) // While the player is playing
	{
		nInput = _getche(); // Have some fun!

if(nInput == 'a') // They want to quit
		{
			bPlaying = false; // So now they are no longer playing

cout << endl;
			cout << "Okay! Bye! :)/>" << endl; // Let them know they are quitting
		}
	}

return 0;
}

Trust me though, it gets easier if you play around with it more. I remember when making a Guess Numbers game overwhelmed me. :)

Hope this helps you!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes thanks alot for that thread... You actually helped me to understand while loop 0.o been trying for a time now hehe.. Guess ill just dive into learning.

Thanks alot again !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

Have you written a hello world program? Here's your graphics equivalent. Let's. Say you want to show a blue cube on the screen. You need to:

- Get a window running and handle events smd timing correctly.
- Do all d3d initialization to the point you have something you can render to.
- Get vertex and fragment shaders loaded.
- Get the vertices and color data, push to GPU
- Render.

Can you handle a program of that complexity?

This post has been edited by Oler1s: 18 January 2012 - 03:35 PM
Reason for edit:: Fix aggressive android autoincorrect

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

No i cant i guess hehe.. But i was aiming for more of 2D games not sure if that includes 2D as well.. But i got my answers and ill jump back into the console programming !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

Didn't you just say on this thread that you were starting to learn C#, in which case you would have to have a firm understanding of XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

If you're not familiar with while loops then Jack's response was more helpful than you might think. Game programing is not an easy task; it requires a very firm understanding of the language being used and programing in general. simply put, your not ready. focus on learning the language for now; once you feel you've learned enough then branch off into some projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1