2 Replies - 8688 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

start as a freelance with no previous expierence

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

I'm a college student and i don't want to work on an enterprise environment, that's the truth. So i started to consider to develop me as a freelance worker, but the problem is that i don't have previous experience programming on a work environment, so that's a big problem for me because if i try to get a job someone will ask me for my prvious expierence and i don't have it. All i know about programming is from the college and high school projects and obviously i learned a lot by myself (java, c++, HTML, PHP, SQL, etc), i can teach myself a lot of things, i prefer this way for learning new staff.I was thinking about being somekind of assistant of another freelance with more experience as i get more experience, but i couldn't find anything, what would you recommend??, is the previous experience on an enterprise environment work a requisite for being a more profitable worker?? or a person like me is able to start as a freelance??

This post has been edited by pablo9891: 19 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: start as a freelance with no previous expierence

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: start as a freelance with no previous expierence

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

In freelancing, you're more likely to be working odd jobs at an agreed predetermined price, from home. More often than not I find myself coding at the wee hours in the morning with no pants on. So don't really except a "professional work environment" other than how you and your clients act online. Even if you are new to working you can still list your projects in your resume, so you can claim you have some experience. I would suggest you find work through a site like vworker, it's very safe and will pretty much guarantee you find some work sooner or later. It will not be hard for you to find work, even though you are new. However, the work will have very little pay. Don't expect to be landing any thousand dollar contracts or a $60/hour jobs any time soon. Most likely you will be earning around $10 to $100, at best. After awhile you will gain some reputation (on vworker this will be in the form of good ratings. The higher and more ratings you have pretty much ensures you are a good worker) and you will be able to land larger jobs. As for placing bids on jobs, be realistic. Can you do the work? If not, don't even think about it. That LAST thing you need is a bad review. I have one review that is 1/10 (lowest) and I had to explain myself to my most recent client that the reason behind that was because of miss-communication with someone who's English is not... top notch. Anyways, when compared to other people that one bad mark sticks out horribly, and it's better to hire someone with a perfect 10/10 for $50 more than to hire someone with one 1/10. Also, make your prices fair. Soon you will be able to know how much time certain task will take up and you will be able to judge how much money to charge. A simple fix of a script COULD take ten minutes, or ten hours. A full forum software could take ten hours, or ten weeks. It all really depends on how much you can work. With that in mind, don't over bid.

Alright I just completely fucked up my monitor so I'm going to cut this short and wish you the best of luck :tup:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: start as a freelance with no previous expierence

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

I feel your anxiety, man. I am in a similar situation. I took work in an office in previous years doing menial tasks and data entry, and I never want to go back to an office environment. I suspect I lack the particular social skills to thrive.

But anyway, I lucked out and received a job offer from a design company that allows me to telecommute. I would suggest you create a website portfolio to act similarly to a resume. Use it to put examples of your work on it. Whether your work was done for school or another company, if it's good, people will hire you. If you get enough links out there for it, perhaps people will start to find you eventually rather than you finding them
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1