• +

21 Replies - 6226 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

#16 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Studio gets badges, achievements and leaderboard

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Someone's mixing burdens! It looks like the main developer's job is tinkering with awesome like this. I don't see this as a waste of time what so ever!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Wow. Never knew so many people were so uptight. Lord, let's not let a developer have any kind of fun while working. No, that's completely against the rules. We should be code monkeys and not see the light of day until ALL of the work is done.

Expression Blend is for DESIGNING. It's not for developing an application. I don't want Microsoft wasting 50,000 hours turning Expression Blend into Visual Studio. One's for developing, one's for designing. Keep it that way. Nothing is stopping you from having one on one screen, and the other on another screen(as long as you have multiple monitors). No need to have debugging functionality in Blend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

Not to mention I doubt this was one hundred percent puppies and rainbows. This was homeboy's *job* and I would guess there were moments when the ineffable cuteness of such lighthearted pixie work (and surroundings of the gum drop forest) became the most hated thing ever. We've all been there.

As they say - one man's bodaciously fun project is another man's work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 19 January 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Expression Blend is for DESIGNING. It's not for developing an application. I don't want Microsoft wasting 50,000 hours turning Expression Blend into Visual Studio. One's for developing, one's for designing. Keep it that way. Nothing is stopping you from having one on one screen, and the other on another screen(as long as you have multiple monitors). No need to have debugging functionality in Blend.

But you have to admit Visual Studio handles split view of XAML much nicer. If you move the horizontal splitter upward the visual view of the control scrolls up into view instead of remaining in place and getting covered up. Blend doesn't support assigned icons for custom controls etc. Those are the types of things I would have expected to be ported over so Blend doesn't feel like the bastard step-child or a 'pre-release' version.

Ars Technical write up for this topic for those that haven't seen it.
http://arstechnica.c...enture-game.ars
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Sure, you can find a number of things that VS2010 is better at over Blend. But here is an exercise for you. Create a simply animation of moving a rectangle from the top of a form to the bottom of the form when it's clicked in VS2010.

I'll be here for 45 minutes while you write that by hand in VS2010. Now do it in Blend. 5 minutes, tops.

Yes, that's one hell-of-a bastard step-child or "pre-release" software.

I rarely, rarely ever look at the XAML when in Blend. If I need to look at the XAML, I will simply switch over to VS2010(since it is already open with the same project), and format the XAML(CTRL+K, CTRL+D) and then look at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Dynamo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

This is about the original topic topic. Not about Blend vs VS.

I actually think it's a GREAT idea. It is a way to motivate developers to try out new stuff and to compete and that in translation means to try to be better than the other guy which means to learn more than him.

I think that it's also a great tool to make VS popular again. Since VS was totally cool when the version 2010 came and then slowly gone down the drain. That is to warm up the crowd before VS 11 comes.

Off-Topic:

Wonder why is it named VS 11 since it will be released in 2012 :P

This post has been edited by RexGrammer: 25 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

RE: Why is it called VS 11....

Since .Net 1.1, Microsoft has named each version of VS with the release year(2003, 2005, 2008, 2010). They are no longer doing this. My guess is because it doesn't nail them down to a release year.

So VS 11 could come out in 2013 if it got pushed back that far. Microsoft is no longer required to release in a certain year because of the product name.

Oh, and coincidentally, VS2010 was version 10 of VS, so the next version is still technically VS 11.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +