Page 1 of 1

Optimizing your Internet Browsing even faster internet Rate Topic: ****- 2 Votes

• "Super Sentai Knight Of DawN"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:06 AM

Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their updates and interrogating your machine etc..

Here's how:

Click Start-->Run-->type

gpedit.msc
without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy>>Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>Network>>QOS Packet Scheduler>>Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO or a lesser integer. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

WORK: Windows XP

This post has been edited by eXceed69: 04 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Optimizing your Internet Browsing

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

View PosteXceed69, on 11 Apr, 2007 - 05:06 AM, said:

Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their updates and interrogating your machine etc..

Although this tip is ubiquitous on the web right now, there seems to be a good deal of controversy as to its helpfullness. From what I have read while doing a review, I would bet (and this is a guess) that any preformace enhancement would only show up durring an "update." Since the update has to happen anyway, this tip will force it to fight for its bandwidth along with everything else, which may in fact slow down preformance.

Since it is a lagitimate tweek I will approve it, but warn that (like any other tweak) it may degrade preformace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:36 AM

View PostNickDMax, on 11 Apr, 2007 - 08:26 PM, said:

View PosteXceed69, on 11 Apr, 2007 - 05:06 AM, said:

Although this tip is ubiquitous on the web right now, there seems to be a good deal of controversy as to its helpfullness. From what I have read while doing a review, I would bet (and this is a guess) that any preformace enhancement would only show up durring an "update." Since the update has to happen anyway, this tip will force it to fight for its bandwidth along with everything else, which may in fact slow down preformance.

Since it is a lagitimate tweek I will approve it, but warn that (like any other tweak) it may degrade preformace.

:D This works quite good if you are using GPRS! IE starts working even faster thatn before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

You may wish to mention that this works only on Windows XP Professional and not Home Edition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

View Postborn2c0de, on 7 Oct, 2007 - 12:09 PM, said:

You may wish to mention that this works only on Windows XP Professional and not Home Edition.

Yeah, it would of helped if i knew that before i tried to do it 20 times!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

There is no Group Policy in Vista, so this won't work there :(

Does anyone know any way to do this on Vista?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1