Page 1 of 1

Setting up a PHP web service to be consumed by VB.NET Rate Topic: -----

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

POPULAR

The problem - you have a database hosted on your website, but darned it if you can't figure out how to make your VB.NET application connect to it! You cannot connect with a connection string.. you are getting frustrated at the exceptions.. what do you do?

Solution: Web services! You can build a small PHP page to connect to your database and provide data to your application! As long as your web service is running your app should be able to find it (assuming it has an internet connection)!

If you have never played around with PHP then this will be deep water for you. If you've played with just a bit of PHP then you should be okay. Unfortunately I am not going to go into too much PHP depth. We have plenty of tutorials here on DIC for that. If anything just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The over all game plan is is you have this page on your web server. It provides a specific setup to expose a public function which can format data, pull it from a database, or provide a humorous message. Your .NET app recognizes this WSDL and allows you to interact with it like an object! You can see the special types inside, hit that public function as if it was a dll you have referenced locally!

A serious word of warning - the php here is not secured. If someone gets a hold of your web service they can call it just as easily as you and that might lead to some abuse of bandwidth and information. I would highly suggest boning up on PHP security before you put any sensitive information out there!

Here's the tools being used:
Visual Studios 2010, 4.0 framework.
XAMPP 1.7.3 (to create a localhost situation)
PHP: 5.3.1
Eclipse (for the PHP editing)
Nusoap 0.9.5 (a great library to create your WSDL)
Nusoap documentation
Zoltar (to jam to)

Background information:
XAMPP is a handy dandy way to install apache (for the hosting), mysql (for the database), and PHP (for the code) in one fell swoop on a windows box. This won't go through installing that there are plenty of crazy-detailed walk throughs already out there. That's on your shoulders.

Odd terms:
WSDL = Web Services Description Language.
URN = universal resource name

Setup
Okay - you have your tools? You stopped your IIS hosting so XAMPP's apache can work?

Attached Image

Your apache service and mysql services are running?
Attached Image

You've have the nusoap zip downloaded? Excellent. 'lib' folder in your php working folder? Awesome! Let's go.

PHP
Fire up Eclipse and create a new php project. Let's call it "wsdl_tutorial". Keep the default settings and click finish.
Attached Image

Open up windows explorer and navigate to the folder. Add your nusoap "lib" folder to the "wsdl_tutorial" folder.
Attached Image

In this new project add a new PHP file called: "My_Test_Service.php".

Here's the code that goes in it.
<?php

require_once('lib/nusoap.php'); // basic include.. must go at the top

$SERVICE_NAMESPACE = "urn:Testing_Service"; // create a namespace to run under.

$server = new soap_server(); // the soap object from the include above.

// this has many input parameters but we only need two: the service name and the namespace
   $server->configureWSDL('Testing_Service', $SERVICE_NAMESPACE);

// Register a method name with the service and make it publicly accessable.
   $server->register('Say_Hello',// method name
        array('name' => 'xsd:string'),// input parameter called name.. and it's a string.
        array('return' => 'xsd:string'),// output - one string is returned called "return"
        $SERVICE_NAMESPACE,// namespace
        $SERVICE_NAMESPACE . '#hello',// soapaction
        'rpc',// style.. remote procedure call
        'encoded',// use of the call
        'Sends a greeting with your name!'// documentation for people who hook into your service.
    );

// here is the method you registered.. it takes in a string and returns a string!
    function Say_Hello($sName) 
    {        
      return 'Hello ' . $sName . '!  Hello world!';
    }

//This processes the request and returns a result.
    $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA = isset($HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA) ? $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA : '';
    $server->service($HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA); 
?>

Once that is all coded up, save it, and let's test if this worked!

Navigate to the PHP file from your browser.. for me this is:
localhost/workspace/wsdl_tutorial/My_Test_Service.php

You should get a most excellent response! This provides all the pertinent information anyone may need when hitting this service.

Attached Image

For more fun, try adding a "?wsdl" at the end.
localhost/workspace/wsdl_tutorial/My_Test_Service.php?wsdl

Attached Image

VB.NET
Excellent.. well keep all that there and start up Visual Studios.

Create a windows project and add a button and a textbox to it.
Attached Image

Double click on the button to have it create your event.

Now here's where we add the web service call! Right click on your project and go to 'add service reference'.
Attached Image

Leave the options alone, but click on the 'advanced' button.
Attached Image

Up comes the 'service reference settings'... once again ignore all the options, but click 'add web reference'.
Attached Image

Here - in the URL - add the ?wsdl url here and click the green arrow to have Visual Studios explore the web service for you.

Attached Image

If everything went as planned you should see your service information! I am going to change the 'web reference name' to something more fitting... like "My_Test_Service". Click 'add reference' when you are done.

Attached Image

In your solution you should find a new folder, called Web References, added to your solution along with your web reference's name! We are almost there!
Attached Image

Back in your VB.NET code let's use that service!

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

'-- create an instance of your service.
        Dim foo As New My_Test_Service.Testing_Service

'-- take input from the text box, feed that to the service, and the display the results. 
        '-- this will prove the round trip has taken place!
        MsgBox(foo.Say_Hello(TextBox1.Text))

End Sub
End Class

Run the code, type something into the input box and click the button. You should get your input string plus our web service's text back!
Attached Image

There's the meat of the tutorial. What you can do now is modify that PHP service page.. register a new method and do complex actions! Take in a value to be searched by the database and return something else. Ping your service for updates based on some factor! The sky's the limit!

Each time when you save go back to your vb.net project, right click on the 'my test service' and do an "update". That will grab your new public methods and make them available to your class.

Advanced

Getting mysql DB data back from your website

Now for a bit of advanced fun. This will run a bit faster, but you should be able to keep up. Open up your MYSQL admin panel and create a new table. Here I called it "test_table", and I added three columns. I also filled it with some test data. Let's see if I can modify the existing service to return this data to application!
Attached Image

Flip back to our PHP file. Let's add a new method that queries the database and returns all the data in this table.

Let me explain something up front - there is a problem with PHP and trying to return soap arrays: it's a pain in the ass. You need to think in terms of building your return datasets by hand. First you create an array for the rows of your data... then you need to wrap that array in another array to have bundle all your rows up. Then you need to make sure everything knows what type what is, and then maybe.. just maybe you can create an instance of your row type.. fill it, add it to a collection, and ship it back to the class. A most frustrating prospect if there ever was one.

Think of this like having to create a structure in .NET... then having to create an object array to hold instances of that structure... that is sort of what we are doing here.

This code can be put between the end of the function "Say_Hello" and the " $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA".

// complex types are like 'struct' in C#.... it's a way to bind an object with different properties and variables together.    
$server->wsdl->addComplexType(
    'MyTableData', // the type's name
    'complexType', // yes.. indeed it is a complex type.
    'struct', // php it's a structure. (only other option is array) 
    'all', // compositor.. 
    '',// no restriction
    array(
        'lId' => array('name'=>'lId','type'=>'xsd:string'),
        'sValue' => array('name'=>'sValue','type'=>'xsd:string'),
        'sText' => array('name'=>'sText','type'=>'xsd:string')
    )// the elements of the structure.
);

// Here we need to make another complex type of our last complex type.. but now an array!
$server->wsdl->addComplexType(
    'MyTableArray',//glorious name
    'complexType',// not a simpletype for sure!
    'array',// oh we are an array now!
    '',// bah. blank
    'SOAP-ENC:Array',
	array(),// our element is an array.
     array(array('ref'=>'SOAP-ENC:arrayType','wsdl:arrayType'=>'tns:MyTableData[]')),//the attributes of our array.
    'tns:MyTableData'// what type of array is this?  Oh it's an array of mytable data
);

// Register a method name with the service and make it publicly accessable.
   $server->register('Get_Test_Data',// method name
        array(),// input parameter - nothing!
        array('return' => 'tns:MyTableArray'),// output - object of type MyTableArray.
        $SERVICE_NAMESPACE,// namespace
       false,// soapaction
        'rpc',// style.. remote procedure call
        false,// use of the call
        ' Get all the data from test_table.'// documentation for people who hook into your service.
    );

// here is the method you registered.. it takes in nothing and returns an array of MyTableArray
    function Get_Test_Data() 
    {
    	// woah who has a super unsecure connection to his database?  This guy!
    	$conn = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', '')
				or die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());

// make our database point to your 'test' database. 
				mysql_select_db('test') or die('Could not select database');        

// a simple select statement.
				$sql = "SELECT lId
				,sValue
				,sText
				FROM test_table ";

//fill the output into something we can use.
    			$result = mysql_query($sql) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
    			// it's always nice to know how many rows we have.
    			$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);

//make a generic array of the size of our result set.
    			$oReturn[$num_rows];
    			// create a counter so we can traverse each item in our array.
    			$lCounter = 0;

//while i can still get data back    			
				while ($line = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) 
				{
					// for the given index assign it an array of data.. specifically telling it what column gets what chunk of data.
					$oReturn[$lCounter] = array('lId'=>$line['lId'], 'sValue'=>$line['sValue'] , 'sText'=>$line['sText']);
					// increment the counter for the next run.
					$lCounter = $lCounter+1;
				}
// return it all.   			
      return $oReturn;
    }

Back in the VB.NET project I created a second button, updated the web service reference (right click -> update), and added this code to verify we are getting our data.
    Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

'-- the web service object
        Dim foo As New My_Test_Service.Testing_Service

'-- the glove to catch our data
        Dim bar() As My_Test_Service.MyTableData

Try
            '-- the call to the method in the web service to get our data.
            bar = foo.Get_Test_Data()

'-- we need to cycle through our data to make sure it's here... that means casting it!
            For i As Int32 = 0 To bar.Count - 1
                Console.WriteLine("lId: " + CType(bar(i), My_Test_Service.MyTableData).lId)
                Console.WriteLine("sText: " + CType(bar(i), My_Test_Service.MyTableData).sText)
                Console.WriteLine("sValue: " + CType(bar(i), My_Test_Service.MyTableData).sValue)
                Console.WriteLine("---------")
            Next

Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message)
        End Try

End Sub

The result:

lId: 1
sText: a text
sValue: a
---------
lId: 2
sText: b text
sValue: b
---------
lId: 3
sText: a2
sValue: a
---------
lId: 4
sText: c text
sValue: c
---------

There's your direct call to the database! You know see that with a bit of PHP, digging through a few screens, and some deceptively simple VB.NET you can pull data from your website's mysql database and into your application on your desktop!

Enjoy!

Complete Advanced Code
Spoiler

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 9
  • +

Replies To: Setting up a PHP web service to be consumed by VB.NET

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Jolly good stuff, old bean! Your tutorials are really useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

I need help, I tried to connect it to postgres and it doesn't continue to display. it giving me timeout error

here is my code for the function, other stuff is working fine.

function Get_Test_Data($sql) 
    {

$cn  = pg_connect("host='my ip' port='5432' dbname='db' user='postgres' password=");

$rs = pg_query($cn,$sql);
	$nm = pg_num_rows($rs);
	$oReturn[$nm];
	$ctr = 0;

while ($line = pg_fetch_array($rs,null, PGSQL_ASSOC)) 
				{

$oReturn[$ctr] = array('state_code'=>$line['state_code'], 'county_name'=>$line['county_name'] , 'fipscode'=>$line['fipscode']);

$ctr = $ctr+1;

}

pg_close(cn);

return $oReturn;
    }

When I tried to manually input a array. its okay. but when connecting to database its getting me and error.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

Where's the error message handling? I don't see any. Typically the "or die(<your text> . pg_last_error())" helps debug things.

http://php.net/manua.../book.pgsql.php
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 March 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Where's the error message handling? I don't see any. Typically the "or die(<your text> . pg_last_error())" helps debug things.

http://php.net/manua.../book.pgsql.php

The thing is, I tried the connection in another php file and its working.
my problem is when I try to call the function to vb.net its giving me error timeout.
I tried manually input the array.
and call the php function in .net and its working.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hello .
I just tried the example you posted ,a very interesting one, but when I run my vb.net application (VS2010 and WinXP) it show this error code : "The answer in not a correct XML code " .
I've changed the function return value to string -inside the register area- and only count the rows of the same query and send the number in return and it works well, but when I try with the array of data it does  not work.
Repeat, I wrote all code like is shown in the article but the function does not send XML data .
I some one can help I will appreciate.
Thanks in advance

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 05 October 2013 - 01:52 PM
Reason for edit:: removed giant quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

It sounds like you need to format the return string in proper XML...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the answer modi123. Very kind.

You told me to format the return in XML ... but why?(well I thought about it two days ago) but  I used the same code in the server and the vb.net button_click. The same you post in the article ... why its works fine for you and not for me? Do you have a low/high version of VB.net?I am developing using vs2010 but the error code is from the server.
Really , I check a lot of possibilities but allways the same answer "No XML code " I began with another database ... but at the end I copy all data you posted  using the same database. The only difference is I am using Wampserver (php 5.4.16) to host my php project and the last version of nusoap.
I don't find the way , not thinking ... why they can and I not?
Thanks for you time
Santiago

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1