Which Blog Platform To Use

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 20335 Views - Last Post: 23 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which Blog Platform To Use

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hello, I am interested in starting a blog. I want to provide quality tutorials and help to people, not a bout programming but some other things I am good at. I want to have a forum in it. I am not worried about finding a web host, i can buy a domain and pay for hosting myself. I want to have a blog where some articles are free and some are paid for. I want people to be able to make an account, the account can be used for the forums and blog. But regular users wont be able to post things on the blog, only moderators. Il have a specific section on the forum for people to post articles if they want to, and if a moderator thinks it is good enough they can promote it to the front page, and it will be in the official articles. I want an option for users to pay a very small fee ($5 or so) and then they can view all of the content.
What is the best blogging platform or website platform that can do this VERY easily without me needing to write any code?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which Blog Platform To Use

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Blog Platform To Use

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

From the top of my head, I don't think any do this out of the box. I expect all blogging software has plugins though, I know Wordpress does. You can also fairly (with CSS) integrate some forum software into Wordpress very well. But I am sure most blogging software will be able to do both, it is personal preference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:54 AM

What is the best blogging platform or website platform that can do this VERY easily without me needing to write any code?

You will need to hack stuff together and write code most likely. Unless you outsource it of course :P

Though I would look into Wordpress (for the blog) and bbPress (for the forum). This integrates with the Wordpress db users table, so they only need to have one account and it bridges the two.

You will obviously need to look at user permissions, ie assigning Mods/Editors access to be able to post and edit Articles on the blog. I assume regular users will only be allowed to comment on articles?

and if a moderator thinks it is good enough they can promote it to the front page

You would need an custom function written to enabled posts to be marked as Featured. Or alternatively it could just be a manual process, where a mod would copy that post and create a new Featured post in the Wordpress backend. Though it does depend on how you actually want this to work.

I want an option for users to pay a very small fee ($5 or so) and then they can view all of the content.

Personally I wouldn't do this. But you can take a look at http://wp-member.com/ or some other similar Membership plugin. Though remember you would have to hack this together to make it work with Wordpress and the forum integration.

This post has been edited by revolutionx: 24 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I use Wordpress because of it's massive collection of plugins, but there is a premium plugin that I bought which does what you want it to do. It's called MagicMembers and allows you to restrict some of the areas to paid member levels. It takes some tweaking, but luckily you don't have to touch the actual code for that. All of the tweaking is in the administration and plugin settings. As for why I use Wordpress, it's because I have used lots of other platforms out there and none have compared to ease of use and functionality. I also recommend self-hosting it because there are some horror stories about free blogging hosts shutting down blogs just because they get lots of traffic. It would be horrible to work that hard for traffic only to have it all deleted.

P.S., Wordpress also has a free plugin for SMF (Simple Machines) forum integration. When someone creates an account on one or the other, it creates the account on the other platform. Simple Machines also has a paid restriction area feature.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

I have read your requirement. I suggest you to install Wordpress blog in your site because you can get all the benefits and features which are suitable to your requirement as well as some great features are as follow.
It is totally free.
You can do everything: setup, upgrades, security, etc.
You can get content backup automatically
You can upload custom themes
You can upload plug-ins
Complete control to change code
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

Do you intend to have ads in your blog?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I would suggest the easy way out for this problem, and simply use Google's "Blogger". It is, relative to WordPress, a generic brand, but nonetheless has very solid Google integration, which might help with SEO. You can then put your scource for the comments in Google's App engine, and run them from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

WordPress is the best for this. With constant new plugins, you will always find more things to deliver to your viewers or audience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well wordpress would be good for a blog, as for forums and blog integration you are going to need a plugin.

Putting that aside the forums software MyBB is decent and best of all it is free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

I use google blogger for my blog and it works great. Importantly, my blog get special treatment from google bot because they are common beings and therefore all of the links from my blogs to my web sites earns me SEO extra credit.

That reason alone is a good enough reason for me, and the fact that it works great for all of my blogging needs is an additional plus.

If you would like to see a sample of my blog to see how my platform performs simply Click!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Use WordPress blog platform as it is currently the most popular blogging system in use on the Web.
About WordPress:
- Free and open source blogging tool
- It is a content management system (CMS)
- Have many features including a plug-in architecture and a template system
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

View PostDavis123987, on 22 January 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Hello, I am interested in starting a blog. I want to provide quality tutorials and help to people, not a bout programming but some other things I am good at. I want to have a forum in it. I am not worried about finding a web host, i can buy a domain and pay for hosting myself. I want to have a blog where some articles are free and some are paid for. I want people to be able to make an account, the account can be used for the forums and blog. But regular users wont be able to post things on the blog, only moderators. Il have a specific section on the forum for people to post articles if they want to, and if a moderator thinks it is good enough they can promote it to the front page, and it will be in the official articles. I want an option for users to pay a very small fee ($5 or so) and then they can view all of the content.

Thanks!

That is some demands. Honestly I don't think it is possible to find a complete solution for your project. You most likely will have to make some tinkering maybe merge different platforms, and if you're not much of a programmer it won't be an easy task. Just wanting to make sure you understand, that it is not possible to do all of that for free.

However, making the forum and blog separate is an easier way of doing it. Now you can choose between a service, like blogger.com, where it's all set up for you, or you can download a CMS like wordpress.com, and implement that on your own host. Personally I would recommend you not to choose a service, as that is not very customizable (which you need).

I recommend using some of the most used systems: wordpress (blog) and phpBB (forum), and installing them both on your own host. This makes it possible for you to customize them further down the road. Good luck with your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Postbconnell, on 01 April 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

I use Wordpress because of it's massive collection of plugins, but there is a premium plugin that I bought which does what you want it to do. It's called MagicMembers and allows you to restrict some of the areas to paid member levels.

Yeah, also heard about it though never had to use it - I don't have content to hide :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

WP is best but it will take minimum a month to learn. blogger is best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

View Postras_ingh, on 04 April 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

WP is best but it will take minimum a month to learn. blogger is best.

The general set of functions is easy to understand on both platforms. But the thing is that with the help of different plugins you may turn your WP site into something more than just a free-made site. Blogger simply doesn't have such tools. So still my choice is WP, though it really takes more time to get acquainted with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +