8 Replies - 8683 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

New member here....Which programming language to learn?

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hello guys.I am a 19 year old guy currently studying computer engineering.I am in my 2nd year of engineering and its a 4 year course.As of now i just know the basics of Java and C++ (nothing more than that).I dont know about my future subjects that i am going to study but i am thinking of pursuing MS in the future and i am now interested in going beyond my syllabus.So what do you guys recommend for me???Should i just go ahead with developing my Java and concentrate on only 1 language for now.I did some google search about the best programming languages to learn and the most common that came up were Java,C++,C#,Javascript,Python,Ruby,etc.I am completely confused as of now.The main reason being i dont even know C++,Java (which are in my syllabus) so i dont think i am prepared to learn a new language.What do you guys think of my decision to go further with Java and first concentrating on that only???I think i will also be learning C++ side by side as it comes in my syllabus but not more than that.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New member here....Which programming language to learn?

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New member here....Which programming language to learn?

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Learn one language well before you jump into others so that you have a good handle on the fundamentals of programming and a single language. Once you get a certain level of experience, picking up new languages becomes more learning the syntax and nuances of each language. It probably won't be so much like that on your second language, but more so when you get to the point of picking up a third or fourth language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 23 January 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Learn one language well before you jump into others so that you have a good handle on the fundamentals of programming and a single language. Once you get a certain level of experience, picking up new languages becomes more learning the syntax and nuances of each language. It probably won't be so much like that on your second language, but more so when you get to the point of picking up a third or fourth language.

So is it good if i plan on concentrating on Java only for now??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

That's what I would advise. Java is also highly used in the industry, including in Android development. It's a good language to know, and a good teaching language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Yup!! I agree with macosxnerd101!!! I would also suggest you to learn one language well before you jump into others so that you have a good handle on the fundamentals of programming and a single language. Once you get a certain level of experience, picking up new languages becomes more learning the syntax and nuances of each language.The main reason behind a programmer's success is not the language that he uses but the experience and the logic that he develops with time!!!You should really be concentrating on learning C/C++ now and then go over to Java!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

You should really be concentrating on learning C/C++ now and then go over to Java!!

I would agree with this only if the intro classes at your school are covered in C++. If they are covered in Java, I'd focus on Java first as you will be working with it more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 23 January 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

You should really be concentrating on learning C/C++ now and then go over to Java!!

I would agree with this only if the intro classes at your school are covered in C++. If they are covered in Java, I'd focus on Java first as you will be working with it more.

I am not really sure about this because in Semester 1 I studied C++,Sem 2-3 was Java and now in Sem 4 i have both C++ and Java.So i think i will be learning both languages during my entire course.
And ty guys for your opinions...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Every language has someone who will tell you it's the best one or the only one you should learn. Every language is a good first language, and no language is a good last language.

Get Java and/or C++ - both are useful. Then pick something different and learn that, and keep on learning new languages. One new language per year is a good rule of thumb.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 24 January 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Every language has someone who will tell you it's the best one or the only one you should learn. Every language is a good first language, and no language is a good last language.

Get Java and/or C++ - both are useful. Then pick something different and learn that, and keep on learning new languages. One new language per year is a good rule of thumb.

tyvm...i am really loving this forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1