7 Replies - 2155 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dream: From Students to Freelancers to New Jobs

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hey! I have a dream/goal that is currently in progress, but to get closer to completing it, I need some of your help/feedback.

I recently visited my parent's home country, its a poor country with a high unemployment rate and a low standard of living. I helped out with some marketing for an English school. There, an idea struck.. I could help create jobs out of nothing via programming. The idea is to find people that have the passion and determination to learn how to program and within a few (or more) months have them doing freelance work. Now I'd be the middle man, finding jobs, assigning them, collecting payments, paying the student/freelancer a cut, and the rest put towards the school.

From one job, the student and the school can earn more than an average months salary in this country. I see Indian companies doing something similar freelance sites constantly. Initially, I will be paying for the teachers/building+utilities from my own pocket, but once I have enough students turned freelancers, I hope to have it paid off on its own plus more to expand to other cities, etc. Money is a huge issue here, and even though I'm sure I can find students that would be willing to pay something for these lessons, I want to make it free.. and just do a good job at choosing the right students who show potential.

I have already found a building and a teacher. Finding the teacher was very difficult. The problem with her is that she learned to program many years ago, so she's a bit behind, but she has the skill and determination to learn whatever she needs too.

She's strongest in C++, and wants to teach that. But I want your advice on how and what she should learn to teach the students so that they are able to complete freelance jobs that are in demand at the moment. So that's the advice I'm seeking.

Another thought... smart phones, specifically iphones/androids are growing fast in this country. Is it safe to assume that instead of freelancing, or in addition to freelance work, I should concentrate on maybe having the students create applications for these smart phones in their native language? I feel like this is an area thats going to be growing exponentially in this country in the next couple years. The amount of apps in this language no where compares to the amount in english. So there's huge potential in this.. so should I concentrate on preparing them for this instead? So instead of doing freelance work for others, instead create apps of their own and concentrate on selling apps and free apps + ad model?

Anyways, these are my thoughts. I'll appreciate any advice!

Oh! and.. My goal is to create 10 jobs this new year, have the first school be able to sustain itself financially and a system that I can replicate easily in other cities in this country and possible beyond.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dream: From Students to Freelancers to New Jobs

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Dream: From Students to Freelancers to New Jobs

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:58 AM

When i look at freelancing jobs, PHP is in a huge demand but then people are willing to do work for a penny.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

See also : India

India has a bad rep in the freelance market because they program for pennies to the dollar. Some Indian programming houses take any job they can get, & even if they butcher the job, the money is great. This has started a huge rift amongst US developers in that some people new to freelancing feel that all of the jobs go to Indian developers because of the low cost. Sure, some do, but for a freelance developer (or developer team) to truly be successful, they should be turning out a quality product regardless of the pay they are accepting.

It's really a mater of currency conversion.

Good luck with your project. It sounds like your heart is truly in the right place.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

no2pencil you are so right that new freelancers feel all the work goes to people that are not very good and work for pennies. I used to think the same, until I upped my prices a lot (which I plan to do again very shortly) and got a different "class" of client. Now most of my clients would not even dream of paying a small amount of money, because very rarely would it actually be worth it. Others tried it then end up coming to me (and other people I know) to repair/replace the poor quality code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

I've always been a firm believer in the old saying "you get what you pay for". Quality work costs more, and it should cost more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

I don't think that all Indian companies badly paid. For example asaiwriters.com pay decent money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostKilorn, on 31 January 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

I've always been a firm believer in the old saying "you get what you pay for". Quality work costs more, and it should cost more.

Absolutely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

I think there is a little chance to find brainy stuff for scanty money. But sometimes it happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1