My New 8 core is as Slow as A Dual Core

• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 4685 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

My New 8 core is as Slow as A Dual Core

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ok so i built my first computer a few weeks ago and feel like it is lagging like hell...
I have turned the computer on which is a 8 core and turned a dual core on and the dual core loads first by miles....
i know boot time is not everything. But just the feel of it its like a slug. When i play on games its real fast but when im doing normal things like when i click media player i have to wait for a bit for it to load.
When the windows logs in it takes 5 mins to load everything so when i login to my windows account i have to wait 5 mins be for i click anything other wise it freezes up. After the 5 mins everything works fine. When i bought the chip and the board i got told to make sure i udate the bios beacuse the board will not know what a 8 core is . So i went to the asus website and downloaded the neewist bios and i updated it using the flash tool the board come with and now it loads even slower.... it was a new version the version was 4.0 and the one i instaled was 8.0

Here is my spec

motherboard : asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Chip : AMD FX8120 Black Edition UNLOCKED EIGHT Core 3.1GHz Processor
2 x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Ultimem RAM

Here is a screen shot of cpuz

Posted Image

I think my self its the memory because its only running at 1333MHz

I also have windows 7 unlimited 64 bit on the computer

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 27 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My New 8 core is as Slow as A Dual Core

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My New 8 core is as Slow as A Dual Core

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Please fix the title of your post.
I think you mean 'as' not 'has'. (twice)
My new 8 core is as slow as a dual core.

This is hard to read and makes DIC look illiterate.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Were you screwing with the multiplier or trying to over clock this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Cores aren't everything. Especially when it comes to loading data. If you have slow drives (5200 rpm, no cache memory etc) you're going to see that sort of thing.

5 minutes for Windows to log in is WAY wrong though. Of course if you have 100 extensions and theming thingies and viruses that will slow it down.

I'd probably take a second hard drive and re-install the OS. JUST the OS. If it boots fast from that drive then you know you have a problem with the OS, applications and add-ons in the drive you're using.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Nope i do not know how to overclock but the chip has turbo mode on so when its under stress it will kick in and boot it up to 3.4ghz and some times 3.5ghz.

So the long boot time is because of hard drive ?
I just though a 8 core there would be no lag at all...
But i was wrong. The lag on start up is horrible.
But when i get past the start up and login it seems to run fine..
the main lag is the log on page it logs into windows 7 then all destop icons are white with no images then lags and i have to wait for ages...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

But i was wrong. The lag on start up is horrible.

Yes.. yes.. I think we are all aware you do not like the boot time, but let's move past that for a solution.

How about tlhn's suggestion about how many apps you start up with? Are you doing a memory/check disc at start up? What sort of hard drive is in there? Have you updated all your drivers (video, etc)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have no way of *knowing* it is your drive. Its one possibility you will have to check. For all I know it could be a 10 year old drive that has never been re-formatted and is fragmented all to hell. Or it could be a brand new state-of-the-art drive. It might be formated FAT, or it could be NTFS. I'm here. You're there.

The long delay for icon painting sure makes it sound like it is busy or at least waiting on something. Win7 is very strongly tied to internet access. There might be a delay getting an IP address. You could have a bad stick of memory that the OS is having issues with and having to map around. There are 100 things that can cause this sort of delay. Welcome to the wonderful world of building your own PC. Now you have to be your own tech support. Fun huh?

That's naive. Computers are collections of hundreds of parts all dependent on each other. If the speed of the memory doesn't match the speed of the motherboard bus... If some bios setting has the CPU's dialed down to 1% to save power... Or to do full memory checks on every boot up...

I hinted about viruses and you didn't take that. Do you have good and up to date anti-virus installed?

Do you have a drive encryption installed? It would have to decrypt the drive before it can access the data. This is were you would want a second drive just for data and a non-encrypted boot drive. I always keep my boot drive strictly for booting and keep NO documents on it.

Is there free space on the drive? If it can't allocate space for memory swapping that can be a problem. You only have 8 gig of ram. Did you do something silly like tell it 64 gig of virtual ram?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have msn on start up and steam and spotify.
I use uniblue 2012 driver updater so should all be up to date.

and i have 2xs wdc-wd1600jd-00hbbto-ata device for hard drives which are 150gb each. And there both NTFS

I have 65gb on 1 drive free and 150gb on the other drive free

Maybe i should use another driver updater and try and stop msn etc from loading on start up ?

i also have avast installed which stops most viruses

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 27 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Or turn off all that crap altogether. If your system runs then don't fix it! If nothings broken don't worry about having the driver that came out yesterday. let someone else report that the newest driver doesn't work. I never install updates until they are at least 90 days old. Its amazing how many updates get updated less than 30 days after release!

Like I said... Start with a fresh drive and fresh OS install. Otherwise you're just guessing it *might* have something to do with something you maybe might have installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ok ill reinstall windows on another drive and see if that fixes it. I guess 1 cpu ent gonna make the computer fast if there is all old components in the computer i guess.
I guess if the reinstall of windows on another drive does not fix it i guess its a hardware problem so will have to upgrade things.

Thanks again. Ill try it then repost
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

just a update i have ran another driver update and now its told me i have noati i o communications processor smbus controller installed ...
Would this slow down the computer ?
Sorry about the double post.

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 27 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think my self its the memory because its only running at 1333MHz

Here is my spec

motherboard : asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Chip : AMD FX8120 Black Edition UNLOCKED EIGHT Core 3.1GHz Processor
2 x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Ultimem RAM

How fast do you expect 1333 RAM run, 2666? You bought 1333, that is what it will run at unless you overclock it. Does you MOBO support the brand of RAM? Are they in the correct slots? Your MOBO manual will tell you which slots are the faster ones.

You built this fancy new machine, did you just put the old drives in it? You know, the one with the crap to load at bootup and all the virii too? First thing you should do is make a backup of the stuff you want to keep and format the drive and do a clean install. If after that things are still slow, then you have issues somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

GunnerInc: Do you just read the opening post and respond? Or do you actually read everyone else's posts too? Because everything you suggested was already suggested. In fact it almost looks like you just slightly rephrase earlier posts.

tlhIn`toq post 4 said:

5 minutes for Windows to log in is WAY wrong though. Of course if you have 100 extensions and theming thingies and viruses that will slow it down.

I'd probably take a second hard drive and re-install the OS. JUST the OS. If it boots fast from that drive then you know you have a problem with the OS, applications and add-ons in the drive you're using.

GunnerInc post 12 said:

You know, the one with the crap to load at bootup and all the virii too? First thing you should do is make a backup of the stuff you want to keep and format the drive and do a clean install. If after that things are still slow, then you have issues somewhere.

I'm just sayin'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I won't add my 5 cents anymore :-p

Then again you said re install and NOT format and install.

This post has been edited by GunnerInc: 27 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

About the 1333 of ram even if i bought the 1600mhz of ram once all 4 slots are fill the motherboard will knock it down to 1333.

The old drivers questions.
I went out and bought 2 sata drives the ones i had in my old computer was not sata ( You saying i used my old drives ). Even if i wanted to use my old drives i couldn't because they was not sata for this 8 core i had to buy everything new. And because i only use the computer to code php pages which are small i thought i never needed a huge hard drive.

I have installed fresh drivers with another driver updater and removed most things from my start up. I formated and reinisted windows 7 on a empty drive and was still the same. So i just turned everything of at start up which has made it a bit faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +