• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 4967 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My New 8 core is as Slow as A Dual Core

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

I don't see where you've looked at the windows event logs. The Operating System could be getting held up in the boot process from invalid, corrupt, or incorrect drivers. If the timeout time is 30 seconds, 60 seconds, (depending on the driver) what do you think happens when you have multiple missing or invalid drivers? & if your comparison is a correctly configured machine... well.

& as for the lag on hard drives, more cores does not mean everything is faster. Seek time is still seek time. You also won't have faster bandwidth just because your cpu can handle instructions faster.

Unless you need 8 cores, you probably won't even notice the difference in 8 cores.

** update **

Also, it's a well documented fact that Windows Vista would boot in measurable seconds. Something like 10 to 17 seconds. After service pack 1, heh, it was well over a minute & a half.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

What are these "driver updater" programs that you are using?

I never use anything like that,
  • I'll build the system, make sure everything shows up in BIOS.
  • Install the operating System.
  • reboot
  • install anti virus protection
  • reboot
  • Let windows find new hardware.
  • reboot
  • Let windows find new hardware.
  • Usually have to do a bunch of reboots before windows finds everything
  • Then I install the drivers for my hardware using the Disks that came with it.
  • Install a malware removing program, clean the system.
  • Run msconfig and turn off anything that I don't need
  • Then I'd start installing games and programs

Hey, do you have a Linux live CD? Put that in and try running Linux on your machine. See if it runs Perfectly fine with Linux, If it does than you know that your hardware is ok and the slowness has something to do with windows.
Note: Some Linux CD's give you the option to try Linux without changing anything on your PC.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

It may be a "shoot from the hip" thought, but I suspect a problem with the drivers.

Check your device manager and ensure that everything is detected and operating properly. As for the driver updater, I would ditch it all-together. Windows 7 x64 uses driver signing, and unlike vista, the drivers that come from Windows Update are the full manufacturer drivers, not a simplified version (IE, nVidia Drivers in Vista would run the card, but lack the features, whereas in Win7x64 you get the control panel and everything). I have found more problems than not when automagically updating drivers.

As others have mentioned, check your event logs for errors that may indicate your problems. Make sure you run the windows experience index at least one time, otherwise windows disables all kinds of things to ensure compatibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

This thread is a mess lol.

First off, to the OP, I REALLY wished you had looked up some reviews before you bought that chip of yours. There is no one with a respectable knowledge of computer hardware that will recommend you buy that chip - it's one of the worst CPU releases since the Pentium 4.

Secondly, onto your actual problem. You said you had 2 150GB SATA drives? I'm honestly surprised you could FIND something that old, much less buy it new. I suspect that is one of your critical issues - ridiculously poor hard drive performance.

Third, you mentioned alot of BIOS/driver/low-level firmware-type stuff updating through helper programs. I can nearly guarantee you that you've totally trashed everything that's been touched. you're going to need a fresh start and i can't possibly help you over the internet.

Fourth, I don't remember you mentioning anything about your BIOS settings. two things can go wrong here: your boot order could be horribly out of order and you might be running in IDE mode instead of ACHI.

Fifth, you're using windows 7 ultimate? based on my experience moving from 7 home premium to 7 professional, you get ALOT more junk that runs at startup; i'm assuming this trend is consistent. that is likely not helping your cause.

sixth, you're using anti-virus software...well, that explains alot.

i hope your definition of installing IS NOT copying an image of your current windows installation. I'll clean up this post and give more details later, but this should keep you busy for awhile.

also, apologies to everyone who's mentioned some of these before. I just find its more helpful to see every tip in one spot when troubleshooting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

The board came with a flash BIOS updater its even in the BIOS menu.....
I downloaded the v update from asus website for the board and then saved it to my destop went in the he bios pressed the flash updater and chose the file and it updated my BIOS.. Now the computer works a lot better.

Can i ask whats wrong with the chip in general ?
I found a review website with 40k good reviews. Most of the reviews ive seen on other reviews sites have been about the motherboard not supporting the chip.
They ent that bad chips i know there are better chips out there which cost a lot more money. I seen the intel chip which it stands up against in every test which cost 800 dollors and the amd fx chip came back with he same results has it.

I think im gonna update my graphics card and get water cooling and get a set of new hard drives then the temp should come down more . Has the post say the stuff in my computer are old. ( expect for the chip and board ) So that's what's dragging it down. Maybe when i put all new drives in and a new gfx card ill see some more performance .

"your boot order could be horribly out of order and you might be running in IDE mode instead of ACHI."

How could i find out which it is running?

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 15 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

View Postrpgmaker, on 15 February 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

"your boot order could be horribly out of order and you might be running in IDE mode instead of ACHI."

How could i find out which it is running?

It's in the BIOS.

& I still don't see where you've looked at the event viewer... Windows provides you these tools to troubleshoot these issues, you ask here for help, & then you don't follow through. Seems like you're leaving it up to chance & guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

EDIT: that sucked....the site had a server error and it killed my post :(

anyhow, the site you read bulldozer reviews on....i wouldn't go there again...

go read anandtech or hardwarecanucks.

This post has been edited by The Architect 2.0: 17 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

The AMD FX 8-core is like that... had to take my AMD FX rig back because I thought it would be super duper fast; I was wrong. Could barely handle Modern Warfare without chopping up everything even with my 550 geforce.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

Even if so it wouldn't cause icon redraw issues.

@OP - I read you have Win7 Ultimate. That's a pretty expensive piece of software, yet you're using one of the much cheaper more affordable 8-core processors, and avast (free, crappy anti-spyware popular amongst the torrentz-kidz). This all might be coincidence, or it might be that you yourself run a bootleg copy of Win7-Ultimate. If that's the case... ermmm, problems might I see?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Go to your motherboard manufacturers website and check the drivers for the SATA controller.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +