5 Replies - 745 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

System.out.println("Hello World!");

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hello World!

My name is Thomas, I live in Staten Island, New York. I started programming when I was 11, and had interest in game-design since I got my first Nintendo Game Boy Advanced when I was 5. I loved playing Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros and Yoshi Adventures. I am 15 now.

Anyway, as time went on I started to use the computer more often, I played Command & Conquer games (Red Alert 2, Generals) online. When I approached the age of 9 I was introduced to an online MMORPG called RuneScape. I was addicted. I paid $20 for a RuneScape account off one of my elementary-school friends. It's username was "Canownueasy", after around 2 years of playing RuneScape I discovered RuneScape server emulators (RuneScape private servers) and was quickly hooked into many forum communities that were all about developing such servers. I used servers created by others for my firsts, I figured out how to change texts and names, and learned about using the Java compiler. About a year had passed and I was really into RuneScape emulation, I started to use barebones frameworks to construct servers, and soon created my own frameworks and servers.

In 2010 I heard of a game called MineCraft. I had lots of fun playing it (confused at first!) and started to also make emulations for MineCraft. I realized what I was doing was silly (because the MineCraft official server software was released) and started looking for APIs specific to MineCraft servers. I found Bukkit, and really liked their whole platform for developing modifications to MineCraft servers (and they're releasing their client API soon!). I quickly started to make "plugins" for Bukkit, which many people liked.

Now I'm interested in making my own APIs, getting a job (to save up for a decked-out Alienware laptop, haha!), and both learning programming languages and extending my knowledge in Java.

Thanks for reading! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: System.out.println("Hello World!");

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: System.out.println("Hello World!");

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Welcome to DIC! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Welcome! You had the same intro topic that I did :P dang Im not clever anymore :( Hopefully we can help each other out some day tho!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Just noticed this intro. What part of si you from? Born and raised in West Brighton :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Oh wow. Im going to be that jerk and say the first time I didnt read your post :D on second view though your childhood was spot on with mine haha. I started with Red alert aftermath and Red alert 2. Moved to Runescape at 10 then started coding servers haha. I wasnt as into mindcraft tho :) were you on rune-server.org?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Welcome To DIC!!

Wow! This sounds a lot like me. In fact, almost everything you said I've done, or still do. I still play minecraft, along with making my own plugins in Bukkit.

I also play still play Runescape, sadly. I think i'm actually addicted to that game. Which sounds ridiculous, but it happens to a lot of players. Been playing for 7 years now. Yeah, it's sad, don't remind me. But like you I went through the phase of playing RSPS (Runescape Private Servers). I actually am the head coder to the current one I work with now. Non-profit though, I just like the profit.

Man, someone that reminds me of myself. That's rare.

Good to meet you!

Jack
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1