4 Replies - 2093 Views - Last Post: 04 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Problem: New Graphics Card Causing Issues (GTX 560)

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hey folks,

After upgrading my graphics card from a 9800GT to a GeForce GTX560, I've been having some strange problems with my display.

First of all, my computer does not pick up the native resolution of my monitor (1680 x 1050). Instead, it defaults to 1024 x 768. I've had to manually add the resolution to the list and select it. Normal usage of the computer using this resolution seems ok.

Secondly, games are acting up. The first of two examples, Skyrim, does not show my native resolution as an option to run the game in. It does if I choose windowed mode, but it crashes when I load a save this way. I can run it in a lower resolution, although expected display problems occur, such as the display being squished or stretched. The second of two examples, [insert source engine game here] prompts a message, stating that steam cannot find my graphics card in their database (although it displays the correct information about the card). Running games by switching the resolution manually to the native resolution works fine, but tinkering with settings ingame seems to cause a crash.

The graphics and monitor drivers are correctly installed. The previous drivers were wiped in safe mode before the new card was inserted, and then the latest 500 series driver version was installed (285.62 as of 30/01/2012).

Here's some data to help resolve the problem:

Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E6600 (3.06 GHz)
Monitor: acer X223W (native res @ 1680 x 1050)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
System: Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)
Graphics Card: ASUS GTX560 (1gb)

Graphics Card Driver Version: 285.62
Monitor connected using a VGA cable with an Adapter provided with the card.

Any help you can provide to help resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Currently, I'm thinking it has something to do with the VGA cable.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem: New Graphics Card Causing Issues (GTX 560)

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Problem: New Graphics Card Causing Issues (GTX 560)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

sorry to treat you like an idiot, but I have to double-check :(.

1. Did you plug the cable to the GRAPHICS CARD, not the motherboard? I'm not entirely sure if the E6600 has integrated graphics, but i'm going to assume it does....

2. Did you force the resolution through the nVidia control panel or through Window's settings panel? setting it in windows is preferable. honestly can't recall if the nvidia control panel has a resolutions setting.

3. How exactly did you 'wipe' the old drivers?

4. Are your windows updates all done? including the intel graphics drivers. again, assuming there are integrated graphics.

theres also the possibility that either your card or your monitor don't support that resolution through the VGA cable. I'm not familiar enough with the VGA spec to confirm or deny. I highly recommended finding a DVI cable first

This post has been edited by The Architect 2.0: 01 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

1) Nope :P Definitely connected from the monitor directly to the graphics card's socket using a VGA cable and an adapter.

2) The resolution is forced through the nVidia control panel. I had to hit customise to enable showing the monitor's true native resolution to choose it.

3) Old drivers were wiped by going into safe mode, removing all the software and drivers via add/remove programs, and then running driver sweeper to clean out any leftover data.

4) Windows is completely up to date, bar one security update, which has since been updated.

It does seem like my only option is to use a DVI cable, but the monitor only has a VGA socket.
Might mean that I need to find a better monitor. heh

This post has been edited by Bladescope: 02 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Just get a converter dongle to jack between the two.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

For some reason, your display isnt being identified and your card doesnt know its optimal resolution. The normal first step is to try a different input on the back of the monitor but since your monitor only has a VGA. I would pick up a cheap vga to dvi converter and see if that is a cheap fix to your problem. Unless you have been looking for a good reason to up grade your monitor :whistling:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1