7 Replies - 1496 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Long night coding!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hey guys,
Last week during class, I was chatting with some friends and we had the idea of creating a website from scratch.

The website idea doesn't really matter, is not a huge website!
What matters is that we have the idea off creating it in one night. From DBs to user interface, administrator interface and all of that. A good and hard project...
We're all kinda well prepared when it comes to web development, and we've already organized the work flow(who does what)!

Now my idea was to screen capture(record) our computers and make a video about it. Don't really know if it is a good idea or just a dumm idea with no foundation...
What do you guys think about the all concept not only the screen recording and what tips do you have...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Long night coding!

#2 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Long night coding!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

If you're confident, go for it. If you're on shaky grounds with your programming I'd avoid it as to not burn completely out on one project.

The problem with that idea though is that you get none of the research, triple the bugs, and so many security risks that it'll take longer to fix everything than to just start over the right way. 12 weeks is a safer development cycle for a light project.

Remember that the point of programming is integrity and security. Skip those two and everything is shot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Sure, but its in a domain that we can can manage and we'll have previous experiences...
A lot of things can go wrong and end up at 6am with 500 errors and bugs all the way, but I guess it will also be a really good experience. and who knows, it might just work out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

You might get something out of this if you look at it as a crash-prototyping session with a hard deadline. If you assume that you're going to toss the whole thing to one side and use it as a sort of clay model of what you want, that might be pretty useful. You'll have put your hands on all of the parts of the thing, and you'll have an idea of what's hard and what's easy, and you'll make some useful mistakes along the way.

I don't know about the video and all that, that's your business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Videos of people sitting and writing code aren't really that exciting, even for other programmers...

However, I really like the idea of writing a website in one night. You can't really not learn something from that, even if you don't end up with a working website. Good luck with it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

If you make a video, make sure you speed it up to play in a minute or two.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

View Postcfoley, on 03 February 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

If you make a video, make sure you speed it up to play in a minute or two.

thats the idea, so people can see us creating the website from scratch... :tup:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Live streaming your screens would be more interesting in my opinion. You can also save your streams so you can do your compressed video afterwards if you want.

For this approach to work though as Lemur already touched on you would definitely need to be confident in your ability and be able to push out code at a reasonable rate to keep watchers engaged.

Usually enjoy it when Notch (The Minecraft guy if someone isn't aware) livestream's his coding sessions. Watching something be built is sort of fun to watch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1