2 Replies - 2150 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2012 - 10:28 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Unable to set up RDS Configuration in CFEclipse (ColdFusion 8)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I've installed the (free) Developer version of ColdFusion 8 on my Windows XP based PC.

At the time of the ColdFusion installation, I checked the box to enable using RDS (Remote Development Service).

When I attempt to set up the RDS configuration on CFEclipse: Window -> Preferences -> ColFusion
the RDS Configuration menu item is -NOT- present.

I have uninstalled, and then reinstalled ColdFusion with the same result.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unable to set up RDS Configuration in CFEclipse (ColdFusion 8)

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Unable to set up RDS Configuration in CFEclipse (ColdFusion 8)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I haven't used RDS with CF for quite some time but I seem to recall hearing that Eclipse (and CFEclipse plugin) didn't have support for RDS built in natively.

As of CF8, Adobe was offering an Eclipse plugin that supposedly brought support for RDS along with it. The thing to keep in mind here is that Adobe now officially supports CFBuilder (which is, naturally, derived from Eclipse) and CFBuilder supports RDS. But, Adobe being Adobe, they charge an assload for CFBuilder and may not have extended that CF8 plugin to support CF9 (which, again Adobe being Adobe, wouldn't be at all surprising).

Try the CF8 plugin and see if it works with your CF9 instance. It just might because Adobe is lazy as hell and probably ported a ton of stuff from CF8 to 9 and then only changed the things in 9 they needed to change to make it 9.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Craig328: 01 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Unable to set up RDS Configuration in CFEclipse (ColdFusion 8)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostCraig328, on 01 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I haven't used RDS with CF for quite some time but I seem to recall hearing that Eclipse (and CFEclipse plugin) didn't have support for RDS built in natively.

As of CF8, Adobe was offering an Eclipse plugin that supposedly brought support for RDS along with it. The thing to keep in mind here is that Adobe now officially supports CFBuilder (which is, naturally, derived from Eclipse) and CFBuilder supports RDS. But, Adobe being Adobe, they charge an assload for CFBuilder and may not have extended that CF8 plugin to support CF9 (which, again Adobe being Adobe, wouldn't be at all surprising).

Try the CF8 plugin and see if it works with your CF9 instance. It just might because Adobe is lazy as hell and probably ported a ton of stuff from CF8 to 9 and then only changed the things in 9 they needed to change to make it 9.

Good luck!

Thank you for your amazingly fast response!!

Please be advised that I am a complete novice in this area.

I'm currently viewing a set of tutorial videos on lynda.com - and have become rather frustrated - as the websites, images, and instructions provided on the videos are out of sync with what exists on the web now. I explicitly downloaded ColdFusion 8 (as specified in the video) in an attempt to minimize the (apparently unavoidable) differences. I did however download and installed the latest version of Eclipse, followed by the CFEclipse plugin, and finally the CF801-Extensions for Eclipse. Perhaps, one or more of these downloads were not the correct versions needed.

I've been out to the Adobe site, and find myself at a loss there too. I guess what I need is a wizard-type app to intelligently query me as to my wants, needs, and desires and point me in the right direction. The number of combinations are just to great for me to want to spend more time on this. I'll just have to live without the RDS functionality - though of course, the tutorial videos will be expecting me to have that capability...

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Wes McCommis
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1