• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 2118 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Legal Advice? Stolen Property Returned Damaged

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Well, I was trying to advise him on actions that wouldn't likely result in him crying through a split lip about the lousy advice he got on DIC.

But I won't deny that beating the everloving crap out of someone who truly deserves it imparts a guiltily cathartic effect...because it totally does.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 01 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

@craig328 - yeah, yeah... save the kid/college-aged OP some pain, but we know that's not your way. You are the way of the shogun... Meat fists of furry.

Though if the OP does get his butt handed to him I would demand pictures... and chalk it up as a win... for the lounge.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

POPULAR

He probs took it to school to look like a big shot and try to make himself more popular. My lil bro did that, only with my driving school and marching band money. Walked around passing out my hard earned $20 bills and my moms sentimental knick-knacks to girls at school since he's too fucking ugly and douchey to get a girl on his own. Nothing more blood-boiling than knowing your red-headed, frecked, specked, buck-tooth white chocolate ass cock sucking brother is taking your hard earned money that you got a job for, and now little 12 year old girls (at the time) are taking your McDonalds/Bob Evans pay checks to go to the Dollar Store and Speedway to buy candy and shoelaces, and the sentimental shit my dad got my mom when they actually liked each other are gone. Funny/worst thing about that was that the parents stood up for the girls and said their grandmas gave them the shit. THE FUCKING MONEY HAD "BAND" AND "DRIVING SCHOOL" WRITTEN ON THEM AND THE KNICK-KNACKS HAD MY MOTHER'S FUCKING NAME ON THEM!!!!!!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

I fucking hate my brother with a burning passion of 1000 suns. Needless to say, I punched him in the jaw so hard it broke half his molars, and he had nasty bruises all over him for weeks. I straight up beat the shit out of him. My mom literally had to drag me off of him I was wailing on him so hard. God damn that felt soooo good punching him. I seriously fucking hate him. And yeah, we're talking hundreds of dollars that both my mother and I contributed. We got some back, but we were still out about $200-$300. Yeah, that much.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, iPads....

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 01 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

I've only been in 3 or 4 really serious fights ever. I walked away from them all. Didn't lose a one (although I also won't claim I won them all either). Thing is to pick the fights you can win...or at least not lose too badly and call a draw.

For the OP, this doesn't seem like one of those times.

Nothing worse than the other kid stealing his shit, damaging it and then when he rolls by to give him what for...he gets his ass beat to a pulp for his troubles. Nothing heroic about getting into a fight you won't win.

Holy shit...Tifa went off as I typed that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#20 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well, back on topic...

Small claims court typically doesn't involve lawyers, so if you go that route, that's not a big concern.

Of course, you live with this guy. So you'll have to deal with this all the time. That's something to consider: how will life be for you living with the guy you sued?

Now, I don't know you or him. I know nothing about either of you. But I'm going with Craig's suggestion of talking to him about the damage first. Tell him what's up, and see if he's willing to cough up the cash to cover your loss. Because really, small claims court is a major pain in the ass. Do you have proof of the condition of the iPad before he took it? Photographic proof, of good enough quality to clearly show the damage he caused? Can you prove without him admitting in court that he took the iPad? Probably not either. It's possible to still win, because civil court doesn't deal in "reasonable doubt", rather, who the judge/jury believes more. But without proof that becomes much harder.

Long point said short: see if you can convince him to cover it, because court is a pain and there's no guarantee you'll win. And you have to live with the guy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Shouldn't you talk to your foster parents/friends/teacher/pastor or someone else local that you can just get advice from? Maybe they will help you?

I would think the legal route would bring more tension than required to the situation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

You're over 16 now! Move out!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I love the suggestion of talking to a pastor. Forgiveness is a Christian virtue, remember? Which means basically any prayer you have for him to be smote that doesn't actually involve dressing him in copper chain-mail, soaking him with water and leaving him up a tree probably isn't going to be answered.

Anyway, I kind of second the motion of a blanket party, possibly with the addition of glue. The kid sounds like a sociopath, but I can only assume it's from his living situations in the past. The compulsive lying could be either one but the lack of deliberate outright manipulation and blackmail- at leas that I've seen mentioned- and the fact that he fessed up when caught- means he probably needs the shit kicked out of him as a first step, and then some camaraderie and social accountability that is reciprocated, so that he has the rules and can learn to function, on pain of having the shit kicked out of him as many times as need be. Apparently there is some technique to using phonebooks that doesn't leave marks, and this may be worth looking into.

Remember, shit that's not fixed stays broken. It's the same with people as it is with iPads. Beating the shit out of him is pointless if you don't figure out a way to get him functioning as a part of the group, and it's in your best interest to do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#24 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Get together with a couple other kids that he's stolen from, throw on some ski masks (you're in Alaska for Christ's sake), and mug the wannabe hoodlum. Beat the living shit out of him every time he steals or steps out of line.

You're probably smart enough to have figured this out, but don't do this. There's bad advice, and there's plain stupid, and this is somewhere off the far end of that.

I don't think I need to explain just why I think this is such a dumbass idea, but, briefly, if you're in foster care, I don't think "experienced organizer of gang violence" is really going to be a good addition to your resume.

NeoTifa's advice was good advice, but I think you've missed your shot. If you've had time to type this up, it's too late to go into a berserker rage. Punching him now just makes you a goon. I'm afraid you're likely to have to settle this like a grown-up - but that's not entirely a bad thing.

That means you have to figure out what you want to get out of this, and what your resources are, and how you can put them to use. If you're smart about it, and you play the long game you'll come out fine. If you're dumb and you settle for acting out some old man's revenge fantasies for him, you're likely to end up in a world of suck. At least, that's how I read the situation.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 01 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Legally what you stated here is, as can see, is hearsay.

Do you have evidence it was stolen? Police report. etc
Do you have evidence to support your claim that it wasn't damaged prior? Dated photographs. etc.

Put this down to experience, and protect and safeguard your stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

POPULAR

Commerical....

Are you tired of some big nasty dick head kid stealing and damaging your stuff? Do you wish his little foster kid ass would be sent back to his drug addicted mom who was trying to sell him for crack? Wish this whole damn thing never even happened?!?!

Well have no fear! C# is here! With our new patented C# technology, you can easily dispose of ipad stealing thugs with the flip of the VS IDE. One use of the objects in this swiss army utility language and you can deliver very nasty cuts to his face, chest and other unspeakable regions! Unlike classic C, you don't need to wait for him to sleep() before you can do some serious damage! Don't believe me? Here are some testimonials from some of our satisfied customers...

NEO:

I use to think punching guys in the dick was the solution to everything until they shrugged it off and started coming after me. After trying C# I found that I was able to teach them a lesson while throwing their bloody junk in the bushes. Thanks C#!

Curtis Rutland:

Before C# I was trying to do things the diplomatic way with lawyers or by some more socially acceptable means. But that shit was getting me no where! So I found C# and became a friggin C# master! I hit this one guy who was trying to say that Java was better... now that bastard thinks long and hard before trying to tell me who is boss! C#, what did I ever do without you?!?!

So there you have it, two of our happy customers. C# can do many things including:

1) Open wounds on their face, neck or chest
2) Cause welts and burning sensations
3) Fight off bear attacks and angry ex-wives
4) Chop wood
5) Get your current position with the handy dandy geolocation library (sold separately)
... plus much more!

You can order your very own copy of C# for $200.00 USD plus shipping and handling. If you order C# right now through our exclusive DIC offer, we will not give you just one copy of C#, but two! That is like a $200 dollar value! Give it to your friend as a present for birthdays or weddings. We are confident you will like attacking foster kids with it so much that we even have a 30 day money back guarantee! How can you go wrong?!?!

Act now since supplies, and foster kid dick heads, are limited! 1-800-CUT-KIDS. Our operators are waiting for your call!

:helpsmilie: <---- Foster kid douchebag

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 01 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

The only adverts worth watching. Thought about a Superbowl DIC ad?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

So when's the next episode of All My Programmers coming out?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

-You can try, but it's not your job to "change" him, Nor would it do any good. Some people are just stuck in their ways.
-Yes you can secure your belongings, but if there is a will then there is a way he can damage and steel your stuff.

What are your options:
-moving out is a good suggestion.
-Can you get rid of him? send to the military, different foster home, mail him to a third world country?
-Can you leave? new foster home?

Defiantly talk to everyone. Say "We have to do something about so&so, he needs more help than we can give him" Let your parents, concelor, foster agency know that this person is a bad influence in your life and needs to be delt with. Write everything down and document everything. Do you have a cell phone with a camera? take pictures and videos to help prove what is going on. The main thing is to build a case, especially if your plan on staying there for a long time.

View PostMartyr2, on 01 February 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Commerical....

You can order your very own copy of C# for $200.00 USD plus shipping and handling. If you order C# right now through our exclusive DIC offer, we will not give you just one copy of C#, but two! That is like a $200 dollar value! Give it to your friend as a present for birthdays or weddings. We are confident you will like attacking foster kids with it so much that we even have a 30 day money back guarantee! How can you go wrong?!?!

Act now since supplies, and foster kid dick heads, are limited! 1-800-CUT-KIDS. Our operators are waiting for your call!

:helpsmilie: <---- Foster kid douchebag

Hey! That's my phone number!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

I would charge him for the damages, right out of his pocket. It would be impractical to sue over an iPad, but if you're serious about it you could let him know (threaten) that you are thinking about going to court.

Can you get your foster parents involved? If they see it from your point of view, they could punish your foster brother or ensure that he pays up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +