4 Replies - 2627 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2012 - 02:25 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

pos cash register, customer database, scheduling

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

i'm new to c# and i want to design a program for my music store. it will need different pages (forms i'm guessing) for POS register (buy sell and trade), customer database, weekly lesson scheduling, and services (repairs and recording)
i'd like to link this program to an excel database where i have a lot of the information stored. i'm not asking for you to just build me the program. i'd like to understand how the code works and be able to modify it if needed. i did have some visual basic experience in school 10 years ago but i pretty much forgot all that.. i might even be willing to pay for some lessons.

-Josh

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: pos cash register, customer database, scheduling

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: pos cash register, customer database, scheduling

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

"excel database"? Yeah I would ditch that for MSSQL Express. It's a free database software, a true database versus some kludged excel spreadsheet.

i'd like to understand how the code works and be able to modify it if needed.

Explain this. What code? Modify what?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostCandymanJP, on 03 February 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

i'm not asking for you to just build me the program. i'd like to understand how the code works and be able to modify it if needed.

If you're going to write the program, then what code do you want us to explain to you?

FYI: I did add a reply to my tutorial in response to the question you asked.

The description of features you're describing is fairly comprehensive. Your VB6 lessons a decade ago don't really apply today.

You probably want to build this as a WPF application instead of WinForms, just because it is all new to you, so you might as well build it using the most current technologies available. There is no reason NOT to go with WPF.

But you need to accept that you are a student in their first week of school. You're not ready to design this application yet. You don't know enough about any of those technologies to design how the data is going to be stored, move from class to class, etc.

But to start with you just need to learn C#.

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...

You need to start there. I can't say "I have little experience in speaking Russian, but I have been assigned to write a mystery novel in Russian. Can you help me?"

We can help you by saying "First learn basic programming and the language of C#. Then take on assignments." Could someone here write this program for you? Sure. Could someone here map out all the processes you need to follow and do the Software Design part of this in the slim hope you could code it from there? Sure. But we don't volunteer to do the job that you're either getting paid for, or getting a grade for. You may want to read this.

For now, just work on the lessons. Do a self-teaching book from cover to cover. Then consider writing a program.

Don't try to create a useful working program to fit a need of yours (or a for-pay contract) as your introduction to coding project. When you are learning to code you don't know enough to code a program, let alone know how to engineer the architecture of a program. It would be like saying "I don't know how to read sheet music, or play an instrument. I think I'll write a 3 act opera as my first learning experience."

I don't say this to be mean. We've seen lots of new coders take this approach and we know it doesn't work. Trying to design your own programs before you understand the basics of the code language you've chosen just leads to problems, frustrations, and 'swiss-cheese' education (lots of holes).

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Jan 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

thanks tlhIn`toq. definitely looks like i need to do my homework. i teach music so i know how to start at the beginning. just kind of was looking for a good start to get to the destination i was talking about. hopefully next time i post a question it'll just be about a code snippet. i checked out a lot of sites already, this one is one of the easiest to understand. i keep getting lost in the msdn site. do they have any tutorials past the first 4? (picture viewer, maze, math quiz and matching game)i did those and seems like i'm starting to get a grasp for how to do all this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Following the MSDN site to learn coding is like following a dictionary to learn English. Its not a guided teaching resource.

Did you see the numerous tutorials we have right here - the list I provided as LOTS - just hit that spoiler [show] button to open it up.

Also that first book I list is great: Download it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1