3 Replies - 10889 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2012 - 06:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

GoingNative 2012

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

As usual I am a day late and a few dollars short on this but right now there is an event going on called "GoingNative 2012"

From the Channel9 description:

GoingNative 2012 is a 48 hour, globally live-streamed technical event for those who push the boundaries of general purpose computing by exploiting the true capabilities of the underlying machine: C++ developers. Distinguished speakers include the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup, C++ Standards Committee Chair, Herb Sutter, C++ template and big compute master, Andrei Alexandrescu, STL master Stephan T. Lavavej, LLVM/Clang developer Chandler Carruth, distributed and parallel computing expert Hans Boehm, and C++ library design expert and ISO committee member Andrew Sutton.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: GoingNative 2012

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GoingNative 2012

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I would have loved to have heard that :/ lots of familiar names there!

edit: wow, Microsoft is releasing a C++11 compiler this year!
edit2: there were some really great talks there too!

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 05 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

You did realize that the sessions were recorded and although it took a day or so they are now all available to watch. I think my favorite was STL's talk. I liked what I was seeing with CLang too. I hope that from this we begin to see some next-generation IDE's in the open source space.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ya, Ive watched them all; either STL's talk about the STL(Ha) or Andrei's talk about variadic templates. I didn't even know that variadic templates could example "in lockstep" like that.

Clang doesn't work very good on windows; I had tried it before the talk and while it worked with most things it wouldn't link correctly when dealing with certain exceptions :/ the reason I looked at Clang is because it compiles code like 3 times faster than GCC(really it does). some of the boost libraries take FOREVER to compile and combining pre-compiled headers with Clangs already much faster compile times is so much nicer.

BTW most of those warnings he mentioned in Clang have been implemented in GCC.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 07 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1