IDE or Editor?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3368 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

Poll: IDE or Editor? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

IDE or Editor

1. IDE (15 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

2. Editor (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

IDE or Editor?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I've been using different IDEs for my programming. For example I used Komodo IDE and Geany for Python and Visual Studio for C#. But I tried out Vim once and really loved it(Through Command Prompt, not gVim). I found I coded quicker and everything came easier for me. Sure IDEs have really cool and helpful features, but they're useless if nothing works. So I currently am still using IDEs but I'm not sure if I should make the switch to regular editors, so I want your opinion.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IDE or Editor?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: IDE or Editor?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I've been using different IDEs for my programming. For example I used Komodo IDE and Geany for Python and Visual Studio for C#. But I tried out Vim once and really loved it(Through Command Prompt, not gVim). I found I coded quicker and everything came easier for me. Sure IDEs have really cool and helpful features, but they're useless if nothing works. So I currently am still using IDEs but I'm not sure if I should make the switch to regular editors, so I want your opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Maybe it depends on the language you are using but in my opinion today's coding environment with multi-processors, multi-threads, complex GUI's, hundreds of object instances and so on are just too complex for a glorified NotePad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

It depends on what you're doing. For editing template files or small programs, I use VIM. For doing anything more than that, I tend to use Eclipse. So I would say I use IDEs more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I tend to prefer Vim. IDEs just tend to get in my way far too often and a majority of the time I work on shell/python scripts in CLI.

At least in Web Dev I can't stand IDEs like Dreamweaver, they're cumbersome and frankly try and oversimplify too much. I work faster when editors don't try and guess what I want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

I use Vim (and previously Emacs) for *everything*. I'm more comfortable in it than in any IDE. There is nothing an IDE can offer me that I want and cannot get from my editor or some other tool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Depends on the task. Whenever I'm working on my Linux computer, which is most of the time, I use Vim. I do a lot of game programming in Unity3D at the moment, though, and the editor that comes along with Unity - MonoDevelop - is actually pretty nice. The only IDE I ever use is Eclipse, for programming lessons in Java and the occasional Android development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

If it's a huge project that needs to start structured, remain structured and end structured, IDE. For everything else, there's Notepad++ (or emacs, vim, nano for cygwin/linux).

This post has been edited by ccubed: 04 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Depends on what I am writing. I recently started at a .NET shop so I use Visual studios for that stuff. For PHP/HTML stuff I use Notepad++ if I'm on Windows or Gedit if I am on Linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I do my work in Eclipse at work and in the whole environment when I'm at home. I use vi to edit, javac or cc (or whatever) to compile, I use ant or make to control builds, usually use ant to manage other tasks - running a packaged java program, for example, which involves a lot of command-line text.
I use svn for version control, because it's what I'm used to using. I'm working on getting all of this automated - I haven't got around to weaving in the svn, but have a single-step script to confugure the rest of it for java. This is kind of convenient, because I can run this script, give it a few pieces of information, and then it sets everything up for me. Now I can work in my machine, not in one program. All of the tools my machine makes available are available. This is really what you do if you understand Unix - it's what makes Unix so powerful. Rather than locking myself into one interface, tying myself to someone's wrong way of arranging the world and bending to the way they like to do things, and slowing myself down with a mouse-driven interface, I figure out how I want things done and I figure out ways to do them, and then I automate those things.

Really, for me, most of what an IDE does is get in the way. Figuring out how to turn off all of the supposedly helpful misfeatures is too annoying, when all of the tools to do everything you want to do are already right there. It might be different in the .NET world, because the Windows environment is so weak in tools, but in a modern OS there's no need for an IDE. It's all right there.

In short: an OS is an integrated develoment environment. If your OS doesn't work, get one that does.

just too complex for a glorified NotePad.

Well, yeah. But nobody's going to use NotePad for long. Once you start using a real editor, you don't tend to go back.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 04 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

There should be a third option, "It depends".

When I'm working with .NET I would never ever ever think of not using Visual Studio. It's just stupid not to.

When I'm working on a Rails application, Sublime Text 2 is all I need. An IDE would just slow me down.

It depends on the context of the project, and the language/framework you're using.

Sidebar: Checkout Sublime Text 2, it's a fantastic text editor with Vim bindings if you are so inclined.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

It depends is going to be the general answer.

There isn't two common place options still in use because some people are to ignorant or dumb to see how much better one is over the other. They both exist because one is useful for on task, while the other is useful for another.

This is like saying, "which is better... phillips-head or flat-head?" and of course someone is going to run in and say "ALLEN KEY FOR LIFE!"
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Is that a metaphor for emacs? (I kid...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Don't blaspheme here, this is VIM territory!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

I think emacs would be more like a screwdriver the size of small house that also hammers nails, splits logs, makes coffee, and planes timber.

"SCrewdriver the size of a small house that does a lot of crap I already have tools for 4-evah!"

(or not)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +