13 Replies - 5330 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

#1 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Worst Virus Infection Ever?

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

This weekend I've had a more-than-normal amount of machines dropped off for virus/rouge related issues. Two of these machines actually set file flag attributes to hidden for every file under a users profile! The customer freaked when their files appeared to be missing. I have not seen this type of an effect since the mid nineties when files were still accessed at the DOS level, behind the GUI.

One of the customers (another local business owner) even went as far as paying the rouge software, because he thought it was legit!

What are some of the worse viruses or malicious software you have dealt with?

Also a 2nd question, do you feel that malicious activity such as rogue software is getting better, or worse? Meaning do you feel that it's being dealt with better pro-actively & users are more protected than say, 2009/2010, or do you feel that it's getting more prevalent, daily, & accepted.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Worst Virus Infection Ever?

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Worst Virus Infection Ever?

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Last year after finishing my first year, that was the horrible computer infection I have ever seen happens to my computer.
All my .java .cpp .h .vb .html & .hml and other were changed to something like this:
Spoiler
(I have all of these projects to reminder)
That makes me cry because at that time I was only one months in java and vb.net and three in c++. But does not end that it also corrupts all my .doc (including all my assignments), make all my .pdf files(including lecture notes) to 0 size!! Also lecture presentation .ppp were not opening.
That situation makes me crazy and I decided to move to Ubuntu for like three months without touching windows. But then I return back for my need of .net projects.

After that I installed MS Essential Security and I have not faced any virus problem to the date.

As for the second question, I think there are some improvement in user protection but also there are a lot of malicious activities going on....(I have few to say here)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

I came across one computer that had an issue with what I thought was a small scareware bit. Tried removing it with MWB, and the typical happened: IE has locked out, all programs were "infected", and direct links to .exe or .msi were completely locked down, taskman and sys tools were locked, the works.

A little more advanced than usual I thought, then when I popped in a live cd things got trippy. Somehow it had managed to set a BIOS password and lock the windows hard drive. Took a long time but I managed to hack it off and get the thing to function, but it's terrifying that they're getting clever enough to do all of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

I had a influx of friends and family getting hit with this fake antivrius shenanigans right around thanksgiving.. I believe I cleaned out six or seven "oh noez totally lost all mah dataz" issues.

Thanks bleeping computer for the quick run through of the problem though!
http://www.bleepingc...ntispyware-2012
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Two of my cleanings today turned out to be the zeroaccess rootkit.

One locked out PS2 inputs, the other caused flaky internet. It was interesting to see it on 2 of 3 invoices for one day! :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

I picked up a boot sector virus once. My computer shutdown on its own and then when it rebooted I saw something that looked like pac man appear on my windows loading screen. The little character ran around my screen with a smile on it's face.

It was a simple fix though. All I had to do was boot with last known good configuration then allow my anti-virus to do the rest.

Also experienced a virus similar to Lemur that disabled all administrative accounts, tasks, safe mode, system restore and all other things you could possibly use to repair Windows. I think I re-installed the OS and cut my loses.

I find that viruses are becoming more popular not in rogue software but with social sites such as Facebook and Twitter. There is also MSN Messenger which has had it's share of auto sending viruses. The worst one I find however is that which send links to all your contacts through your Hotmail account. Most end users will click the link since it came from your friend or relative and boom they're infected.

I believe 2011 was a lot worse than the previous years but the stats could say otherwise.

This post has been edited by codeprada: 05 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

@codeprada - did it look like this?
Attached Image

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

@modi123_1 Nah. It was a black screen with one small character. Looked like a unicode character to be honest. How'd you manage to fix the cookie virus btw?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

I fixed it by giving it what it wanted - I typed "cookie".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Type cookie, you idiot.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

As for mine I removed the BIOS jumper on the Motherboard, livebooted to the knoppix cd I had loaded with AV and managed to wipe it. That virus was gone, but same guy came back not more than a month later with a brand new virus ready to fight.

You can fix computers, you can't fix users intelligence and browsing habits...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

You can fix their habits by installing firefox and noscript.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Easy answer, a Remote Adminstration Tool (RAT). Get infected with one of these, the hacker has complete control over your system (files, webcam, etc). Even worse, you can crypt them which makes them undetectable from all anti-viruses. As soon as 1 anti virus does detect it, the crypter creator will make a new stub which makes it undetectable again. So, it dont matter how good anti viruses are, they are easy to get around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

*sigh* Oh Backorfice days.. how I miss you...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1