6 Replies - 1757 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

My site: Inwytt.com

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

hey guys!
I'm starting a web design/development business. I just got my own website online and I would appreciate your honest feedback. The site is www.inwytt.com. Please check it out! :)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My site: Inwytt.com

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My site: Inwytt.com

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

inwytt website services

Graphics:

Nav Buttons:
Not in the usual spot so that's nice..
A bit dark to read black on a dark gray background.. not quite vision impaired friendly.
Basic black-to-white mouse overs.. okay.
Depending on the one clicked it would be nice if that option stayed highlighted.
(Score: 12/15)

Banner/Header:
Simple.. though that fine line is a bit jagged.
I am not sure exactly what the picture is supposed to be.. a hat? a fish? a lumpy mouse looking left?
Decent font.
(Score: 9/15)

Color Scheme:
Pretty dark. It might look better if those facebook/twitter/linked in logos were colored.. and also a few sizes smaller than your logo.
Everything seems so.. dark. Maybe lighten it up a bit?
(Score: 8/10)

Total:29 /40

Display/Layout:

Organization:
Clean and to the point.
Interesting horizontal scrolling and then some vertical scrolling.
(Score: 14/15)

Text Layout:
Good layout.. decent flow.
(Score: 14/15)

Total: 28/30

General:

Language:
Some of the wording could be cleaned up.. under the 'services/portfolio/about us.. etc' you are not capitalizing the those first lines.. that's.. odd.
In the 'services' bit you start way too many of your lines with "we".
Your word choice and sentence flows are a bit off.. example:
- Logo design - add "Are you" to "having a hard time".
"Instead of only advertising with traditional methods and hoping for someone to turn to the right page and notice your ad, let the web bring your products to the right people at the right time."
to:
"Instead of only advertising with traditional methods - hoping for your customer to discover your ad buried among others - let the web bring your products to the right people at the right time."

(Score: 3/5)

Feasibility:
The site's great for navigation. No scrolling - it does that for you!
Since you are pimping the 'mobile' bit hard - I would be interested in seeing how this would appear on a mobile device.. if you, in theory, practice what you preach.
(Score: 5/5)

Other:
I would like to see a bigger portfolio of your logo designs, graphic design, and etc.
With your hosting perhaps have a widget to show your current up-time counter and etc..
I also feel you two should have a nice blog or something.. humanize yourselves..
I am a bit annoyed at your 'contact us' address info is an image and not text. I am constantly copying lines of address and saving them later.. or binging them for their maps and such...
Also if you are going to have numbers and prices in your text I would like to see them all in one spot.. Sure they are fine in your text but having one quick link to pull them in one spot so I am not jotting down notes on how much your services cost would be nice.
(Score: 14/20)

Total 22/30

Total Score: 79/100
Grade: B

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Not bad so far. Maybe a tad bit dark on the bottom navigation but a solid site to be sure.

Now as far as how to get clients, that IS the question of the day now isn't it? The best way to start would be to get on as many freelance sites you can and bid on projects. A simple google search will turn up a good number of results on that account.

After you have some designs under your bely you'll start getting more attention and eventually people will start to come to you. Don't be discouraged if this doesn't happen quickly, it takes some time to get a solid rep.

One of the best ways I've noticed in getting attention is to host tutorials and resources on your site, it draws in a substantial amount of traffic, especially if you submit to tutorial sites.

Best of luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I am not designer so I will let those guys see to you, and your code is pretty solid... so it is with pleasure that I can "review" a site by saying "Well done!!". All sites can be improved, but yours is pretty good :)

The only slight niggle I do have is that as the navigation is in a different place to normal, and it is dark... took me a while to find any content. A lot of people would have closed the tab. So perhaps make the navigation pop out a bit more!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really do appreciate it. We barely know any other designers/developers in real life, so your input is priceless. A lot of what you guys said have been in the back of my mind as well, so I'll look into tweaking a few things (especially the navigation to make it stand out more). I also think coloring the social icons on hover effect would be quite cool, so thanks for that too.

Also, to get your opinions on how to add a blog: Would it be slider overkill to have the whole content/nav section of the site slide up to load a blog with tutorials, etc.? Sometimes I get carried away with stuff so...heh. I'm also thinking bandwidth could be an issue if I do it that way.

Anyway, I'll consider each and every issue you guys brought to my attention and look into a way to improve.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

If you're into looking for more freelancers to network with, I'm thinking about getting a group together later. Of course that's another matter altogether, message me if you're interested. (Portfolio/etc is on my profile here)

I'd almost consider just using the same template for the blog and writing it up properly. Making it a separate page is often for the best, and maybe adding a latest/most popular slider to the main page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, we'd be all for that. Just let me know what's going on when you get the group together. It'd be great to network with others in the industry. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1