3 Replies - 800 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2012 - 02:54 PM Rate Topic: *---- 1 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Suggestions on Text-Based Games

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi, everyone!
I love making portable text-based games for consoles. The ASCII interface is very appealing to me - and I know I'm not alone.
So I'd like to hear suggestions (from developers to users) about games on this kind of platform. Like 'what games do you like to play', 'how could text-based games be better', ideas or even thoughts on the matter.

I don't know if text-based game developing is going on nowadays (because of the 'OMG 3D GAMES' mania) but if you find it interesting, please share your opinions!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Suggestions on Text-Based Games

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Suggestions on Text-Based Games

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Have you done any proper research? How many widely played games can you find of the type you wish to create? What was good about the good ones and bad about the bad ones?

You need to research this if you want a good game design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Console games are kinda interesting, as you start there (as a developer) because it's easier, but once you hit a level of complexity, they actually become more difficult than (simple) graphical games.

That said, I am not a huge fan. I will play a Rogue like game on occasion, but that is in spite of the text based interface. I wont even apprach Dwarf Fortress because it's so, well, unapproachable. Simply put, there is a reason we don't play these games anymore. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

To hinder Serapth's post, a lot of people still do play text based games. For example, Torn City, has over halp a million users and over 2000 active users a day. Another game is Mono District. This has a smaller community, but an actove one none the less.

As for the interfaces, Mono District paid $8000 USD to get their layout / interface complete.

I am a professional web developer and have also developed some games. They do get complex with stuff like security and user account safety ect.

On that note, don't stop developing for text based games. Just because they aren't as popular as 2D or 3D doesn't mean that people don't still play them.

I look forward to seeing what you develop :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1