4 Replies - 968 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What is a CMS?

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Can someone tell me what is a CMS? can you show me what ISN'T CMS?

From what I can tell, a CMS is just a website with a default HTML layout, CSS styles, and javascript/serverside code that allows the user to change css themes and layouts from special administrator panels WITHOUT having to know HTML/CSS/javascript.

I remember someone saying that CMS(wordpress specifically) don't interact with SQL databases. That confused the hell out of me.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is a CMS?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is a CMS?

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

It's a "content management system" so that means if you have pages, blog posts, images, layouts, etc it would sit on top of that and manage it with some point and click versus ripping through writing your own code. Wordpress, Drupal, joomla, and the like are all CMS.

I assure you - wordpress DOES use sql; the user doesn't see it (or interact with it) at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

is it safe to say that it abstracts away the creation and management of individual webpages?

On the creation aspect, the 'new page' webpage basically provides an interface to a method in the server-side code. For example, there would be a 'title' textbox and 'body' textbox. On POST, the values get passed to 'AddNewPage(String title, String body).' In that method, there is code to store this data in the database.

When the user navigates to a specific URL, the page is displayed to the user. The CMS must search the database for a specific article based on URL tokens(or some other data passing technique). When the article data is found, it calls a 'DisplayPage(String title, String body)' method that will inject the arguments into a standardized HTML page that will be viewed by the user.

The alternative to a CMS is for the page editor to copy/paste an existing article page and manually replace the page title and body.

does that sound about right?

If you make a website using MVC with a SQL database, that DOES NOT mean you created a CMS? even though it automatically populates table rows?

This post has been edited by The Architect 2.0: 07 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

If you make a website using MVC with a SQL database, that DOES NOT mean you created a CMS?

No, that just means you made a website backed by a database.

A CMS could be any tool that allows the user to Manage the Content - ie, create and edit pages - without directly tweaking html, css, etc., or accessing the actual files directly. It protects the person responsible for content from the code, and it protects the code from the content manager.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

A CMS by definition is a "Content Management System". It software that allows you to create content on your website without the need to actually write any code or markup for styles.

Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc are all CMS's.

Companies might hire you to build a CMS for them with custom functionality not available in the already existing solutions out there.

Does your web app let users create a blog post? It's a CMS.
Does your web app let them create "products" to list in their "shop"? It's a CMS.

You know a CMS is good when the secretary can use it without much technical training.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 08 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1