• +

39 Replies - 9751 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

#31 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do people you know know what 'developing software' for a livin

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

@Benign - I might start calling you "Jolene"; take'n other women's men just because you can. pffsst.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

POPULAR

I figure this is apt for the current meme..

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 16 February 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

View Postsearcher920, on 10 February 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I spend considerable amounts of time explaining the difference between web designer and web developer. I do both. I can make a pretty picture. I can turn that pretty picture into a website. I can link that website to a database. I can custom build an administration system to make updating things nice and easy. If it can be done on the web, I can find a way to build it and make it work.

I find myself describing my job as "computer programmer" to prevent the completely blank stares I get when I call it anything else. Explaining the difference between web developer and application developer is pointless in most situations. To 95% of the population, I write magical codez that make computers do things. Period. It's that rare 5% whose eyes light up and their first question is "What kind of programming?" I love those people. Until they launch into their pro-MS/pro-Mac/pro-.NET/pro-PHP rants. You use what you use, I'll use what I use. Leave it at that.

Being a woman in the industry also elicits interesting responses.

If you're talking to a guy, and he's a single geek, it more often than not leads to a short-term relationship (seriously, I can't tell you how many dates I've gotten just because I'm a nerd).

Talking to a married guy makes their wives catty. One of my best friends told me she was convinced for years that her husband was only with her because it gave him an excuse to hang out with me. He would reportedly get all sorts of excited to know I was coming over to visit - he'd run to his office and start setting up all the stuff he wanted to show me. It took a long time to convince her that I had no interest in her man.

Talking to a woman usually ends in something along the lines of "I don't know why you didn't become a teacher - or a nurse like your sister - you can't possibly like your job." Um... yeah. Ok. Whatever.

Not sure how it works from the male perspective, but I imagine there's a list of canned responses for you, too.

I'm female also. Like you, I have noticed that in general women have absolutely no curiosity about how computers work, even if they love them and use them constantly. And it's always assumed that if a women does some kind of computer job it's either web design or help desk. And if a woman has a husband who does computer programming, she never asks him what he does all day.

I have seen almost no exceptions to this, except for myself. I became curious about computers years ago and went ahead and starting teaching myself from books. I was also in between careers at the time and thought it might lead to a job, which it eventually did. But I think the motivation was also wanting to understand the machine that was becoming central to ur whole society.

Most women probably have at least a vague idea of how their car works, or their stove or washing machine. But their computer is a complete mystery to them. And they don't care! Yes there are men who don't care either, but not as many.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

I have a few friends who are interested in computers, and indeed, work in IT, and they still glaze over when I start talking. I'm not a professional programmer, merely a student! These guys know more than I do about operating systems (at a high level), server software and hardware and still, they cannot stomach a page of code.

Funny :P My eyes glaze over a bit with the huge configuration files that they navigate with ease but with a programming background I know that it's just a matter of understanding some context and I can learn it. Not so for them, I guess. There is a bit of a hurdle when you begin learning how to program, that once cleared, makes the rest of the subject more or less easy*.

*granted there are tough topics out there, but basic programming is not so hard.

As for my layman friends (computer layman that is), they have no interest whatsoever in computers, beyond accomplishing whatever tasks they can already accomplish. Email, internet, audio production, etc. It doesn't matter, when it comes to

if(something <= something_else)
{
  do_this();
}
else
  do_that();
}

They just don't care! :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Well, most of my friends and family know me as a computer guy, who can do computer things, probably because I've been interested in and working with computers for many years. I'm amazed at people's misunderstanding of what I do or what I'm capable of. I don't know how to use an iPhone - I don't own one and never have, so questions like "You know how to fix an iPhone that has a broken screen don't you?" usually illicits a blank expression. Mind you, if I come back at my sister and say "You should fix me some sandwiches - you know where the kitchen is, right?", well, let's just say it doesn't go down too well.

I have a cupboard full of spare parts, anti-static bags, manuals, screws, DIP switches, etc - my wife calls them robot parts. She wants me to get rid of them. At least once a week she wants me to get rid of them. She doesn't appreciate when something simple breaks in the house and I go into my office, open my cupboard, push the 40GW Dark Matter Capacitor out the way, and grab the PS2 mouse to replace her one that's just died.

I've also recently been hit up by my father-in-law to rig the Lotto. Makes me wonder why I haven't been rigging the Lotto all along. I must be an idiot. Hell, if I had known that all it took was a basic understanding of HTML and the ability to change a printer cartridge, I could have been rigging the Lotto for years.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

as someone studying comp sci, it took me about 2 1/2 years to convince my family that im not studying to be a computer repairman.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

for me its worse as everyone seems to forget i am a software engineer and they fixate on the 'engineer'. i have had my father ask me what i thought about the foundation of our new house... actually he didnt put it in those terms, i didnt understand a word of what he asked me :)

also all my relatives think i am the person to call if any of their electrical appliance stops working... *sigh* :( thank god i moved 400 miles away!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'm just a high school student so I have no experience in the workplace, but I understand how frustrating it is when people don't understand what you're doing.

I've been taking this engineering class (using AutoDesk software for mechanical engineering and drafting) at my school, and this year the class I'm in is called "independent tech studies." I find the stuff incredibly boring, and closer to keyboarding than engineering since you generally just copy things. Because of this, I use the class as a study hall. My teacher noticed this, and began giving me lower grades (rightfully, I suppose). So recently I emailed him and told him that I am in fact very interested in engineering, and that my interest is what distracts me from the homework that I end up finishing in his class. The next day I showed him some of my work, and tried my best to explain it. He just stared blankly at the screen, as if I had whipped up everything in Microsoft Word or something. I showed him the code, and he said, "Oh, you write this?"

Don't get me wrong - he's a great teacher and my initiative has payed off (he has been giving me 100% on every subjective grade since). But there was a point when I wanted to cut off his blank stare by saying, "Let me clear up what programmers do: they make the tools 'traditional' engineers rely on these days - and just about everything else."

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 09 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

In the UK, the job market demand for software developers is on the same level as the demand for ALL branches of engineering - electrical, electronic, mechanical, etc etc. I think it just goes to show that engineering is changing as a profession; for the last 100+ years, to become an engineer was a safe bet into a decent standard of living. Nowadays though, software development is a better bet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

Not really.

I still have to help troubleshoot PCs, printers, internet connections, etc... for family. Create websites for their failed business ventures. Get continually asked why I'm not an SQL Developer since this job they found on a random website pays £40,000 a year, even though I'm only 8 months out of university. etc...

Even the people at work don't really know what this department does, I still get people with attitude problems storming off when I tell them, no actually I can't fix the photocopier for you.

This post has been edited by Duckington: 25 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +