4 Replies - 1947 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mobile application of social engineering education

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hello fellows,

So, I am senior in computer science and philosophy, and I am in charge of group of 3 other guys. We have decided to make an application for the Android operating system. This application is to serve as a tool to educate people on social engineering in the context of the Internet. We are thinking articles, YouTube media, quizzes, and interactive games to help teach people that the greatest security risk is themselves. What are you thoughts/suggestions on how to make such an application better? Do you think this is a good idea?

PhilosophyInCode

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile application of social engineering education

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mobile application of social engineering education

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

What are you thoughts/suggestions on how to make such an application better?

It's hard to say without seeing it or some sort of design doc.

Do you think this is a good idea?

It's your project for your class. I think you can only be the judge of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Valid points. Revising the purpose of my questions, I am looking into opinions on the necessity of such an application. For instance, do you believe this is a topic people need to be educated on? Also, what do you think would be interesting or cool ideas to reinforce security concepts if the application is aimed towards those who are not proficient in the understanding of computer vulnerabilities?

This post has been edited by philosophyincode: 09 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

I am looking into opinions on the necessity of such an application.

Application? Probably not. Website - yes.

For instance, do you believe this is a topic people need to be educated on?

Yes.

Also, what do you think would be interesting or cool ideas to reinforce security concepts if the application is aimed towards those who are not proficient in the understanding of computer vulnerabilities?

Ah.. isn't that your cross to bear for your assignment? I mean if I give a really bomb-diggity idea is my name put on the paper?

Also when did you expand the scope to computer vulnerabilities? I thought you were talking social engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

There are some cool ideas my group and I have. I was looking into what the community thought would be interesting.

Some ideas:

Interactive games on social engineering

Quizzes to ensure concepts of social engineering in regards to computing are reinforced

I did not elaborate very well, I meant computer vulnerabilities in the context of social engineering, that the user is the greatest vulnerability to a system. I was not looking for a brilliant idea, that is both unfair and unethical for me to take a lucid, well-contrived idea and make it my own. Instead, I was hoping for suggestions on how to make a learning experience more enjoyable. In regards to our selection of application creation, the reason we have selected an application is because of our type of user. We have selected what we called the "New Yorker" professional persona as our user of focus. Conceptualizing this persona, we envision a person who is an office professional that uses computers on a daily basis, but is not technically proficient in its operations. We decided to use an application instead of a website for this type of person because: A) We envisioned this type of person as having little time and often commuting on public transportation, B.) Does not want to constantly have to use the browser and be dependent on a connection to the internet, C) An application allows for fast access to the content, D) We assume this persona will be using this application to fill up some time while waiting to commute to work, E) Due to working in an office environment, they need to be educated on social engineering and protecting information within the office.

Based upon this persona, I am looking for advice or ideas that would appeal to such a crowd. I would imagine someone has had experience designing applications for users who have this type of persona.

This post has been edited by philosophyincode: 09 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1