3 Replies - 9394 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

LocationOnMap API

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Four questions for the wise,

1. Is it possible
2. What is required

....to create a website where all the users visiting (Log in needed/or not) get populated on a 'Local area' map(google map/yahoo) so that they can all see each other live?

I would also like to ask these questions for facebook users logged into facebook but on my site and seeing all online friends etc??

I look forward your views, opinions and facts

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: LocationOnMap API

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: LocationOnMap API

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Look up geolocation api, there are free services and paid services.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Moved to Web Development. The API Feedback and Support forum is for the DIC API.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

This would require an interesting combination of a few different web technologies (unless an auto IP location recorder and map display tool exists).

PHP: The value of the $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] function will return the IP address of the person accessing the website. This value can be passed to one of many RESTful APIs. The XML document returned can be accessed and stored in a database which can then be retrieved and displayed in the...

Google Earth API: While it is ugly, you can use PHP to print the necessary KML snippets in the Javascript for the Google Earth API.

Database: If you want to get fancy, MySQL and PostgreSQL have spatial extensions which are very easy to use. This can be used to allow users to search for other people in their area. This can also be cheaply achieved by setting the altitude property in the lookAt variable of the GE API to only show a limited view around the accessing person's location.

In writing this I got interested in seeing it work, so if you do attempt this, or want some help creating it please let me know.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1