4 Replies - 1089 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Call center interview

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have an interview with a company for their call center/ helpdesk.
I'm wondering if the questions will focus more on customer service or technical aspects?

It's basically helping people troubleshoot wifi hotspots. But networking is something I only have passing knowledge of.

I like the other side of the company they have a mobile applications development division that I think I could transfer to within 2 years and they like to promote and hire from within.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Call center interview

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Call center interview

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

It kind of depends on the company. Some companies focus heavily on customer service in which case I would think that the interview would have a deep element in that.

However there is nothing worse than having someone in a helpdesk who doesn't know anything about what they are supposed to be helping with.

I would think there would be a mix of both really. That mixed with your personal skills to denote whether or not you are worth employing.

If you want to move to the app dev division in the company then I suggest that you push forward as much of your technical knowledge as possible. Just so they know that a transfer could be possible.

Good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

View Postk1ngcor3y, on 12 February 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

I have an interview with a company for their call center/ helpdesk.
I'm wondering if the questions will focus more on customer service or technical aspects?.
That's a statement, not a question. You are wondering if _____

And to answer that non-question: If you interview at 100 different companies you will get 100 different interviewing processes. Welcome to the world of employment beyond "Do you want fries with that?" Amazon has a number of books for different interviewing situations <hint>

View Postk1ngcor3y, on 12 February 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

It's basically helping people troubleshoot wifi hotspots. But networking is something I only have passing knowledge of.

Then how do you expect to be able to help the customer calling in? You might as well be saying "The job is taking calls from customers speaking Russian. But I don't really know much Russian." Hello.... McFly....

Hopefully they will have you in front of one of those trouble shooting flowcharts that you can follow.

• Are you on an iPhone, Doid, other?
  • <if iPhone ask this>
    • Open the settings.
    • Open the Networking
    • Is it turned on?
    • <if 'yes'>
      • blah blah

• <if Droid ask this>
    • Do you want to get an iPhone?
    • <if 'yes'>
      • blah blah

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

You get an interview when your resume and cover letter etc. convince a hiring manager that you might be the person who solves his current problem. You get a job when you confirm for them that you actually are the person best equipped to solve their problems. That's about all you can say about interviews generally.

When you interview for a position, you need to figure out what they need, and highlight the ways you are that. If you don't know the technical content, impress them with your ability to communicate and your ability to learn. I suggest you start by researching the hell out of the material you'd be expected to know.

Show an interest in the position. Ask them good questions about the company and the position. Preferably something beyond "how long before I get a promotion to what I really want to do?".
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I was worried about nothing. The interview was really simple and the job is something well within my range.

Also, they liked the fact that I had career goals that involved another position in their company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1