3 Replies - 1356 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I have a freelance web/graphic design business that I have been building for a while. I recently accepted a full time job at a company working in web development. My problem is that the job starts in a couple of weeks. I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to fill while I have the full time job, i.e. due dates, etc.

As I am the only person in the company (it's an LLC) it's really too small to sell. Here is my dilemma. About a year ago I moved from a large city to a small town in south east Iowa. Two clients that I recently picked up is the city I live in. Only a population of about three hundred people. And the transport company that is located about a block from my house. I live next to these people so I don't want to make anyone mad. I need someone to take over these projects (websites) if I can. These clients have already signed contracts and paid me half up front to begin work. We are in the early stages of the design process.

So what do I do. I don't want to get into any legal problems as there is a contract. I also don't want to upset anyone because I am neighbors with them. I just don't have the time any more to commit to what I told them I would do.

Any business advice would be much appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Perhaps refund their money and refer them to someone else you know?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 February 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Perhaps refund their money and refer them to someone else you know?

I agree with this. This is cleanest way out. They can't complain about you screwing them over and can't take any legal action. I have had to do this with another non IT business I have and things come up where you can't complete a job you just have to make it right.

The next option is to sub-contract it out but this can turn in to a bigger headache for you than it is worth.

The last option is to suck it up and just work really hard for the time it takes to get these jobs done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

If you are looking to sub-contract, shoot me a private message. Please include your LLC website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1