I have taken some time off in the last month or two for personal reasons and school. I am jumping back into game programming and and looking to write a 'small' engine. I've previously created a small engine that will load .x meshes and textures. I was successful, even with the camera. Which if some remember, I had a lot of trouble with in C# because I was not understanding the concepts :\.
Now I want to further my skills and write a new engine with the following:
- Application - and Direct X
- Camera initiation / setup
- Level loader
- Game Objects
- Mesh loader - Own format hopefully
- Mesh Collision
- Small physics
- Small Audio engine
- GUI - Hopefully
Now, here is why I am here.
1. Is there anything else I would need?
2. How would I go about this? Would I take my normal approach and start with the Application / Direct X setup? or should I write something else first?
I plan on using C++ and my current level of knowledge and understanding to complete this task. I in no way expect this engine to uphold graphics standards such as engines like Unreal Engine, Unity, Gamebryo and the engine BF3 uses. But I would like to develop something which in the future I can build upon to improve it.
Thanks in advance.