4 Replies - 621 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2012 - 03:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Game Engine Guidance

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hello everyone,

I have taken some time off in the last month or two for personal reasons and school. I am jumping back into game programming and and looking to write a 'small' engine. I've previously created a small engine that will load .x meshes and textures. I was successful, even with the camera. Which if some remember, I had a lot of trouble with in C# because I was not understanding the concepts :\.

Now I want to further my skills and write a new engine with the following:

• Application - and Direct X
  • Camera initiation / setup
  • Level loader
  • Game Objects
  • Mesh loader - Own format hopefully
  • Mesh Collision
  • Small physics
  • Small Audio engine
  • GUI - Hopefully

Now, here is why I am here.

1. Is there anything else I would need?

2. How would I go about this? Would I take my normal approach and start with the Application / Direct X setup? or should I write something else first?

I plan on using C++ and my current level of knowledge and understanding to complete this task. I in no way expect this engine to uphold graphics standards such as engines like Unreal Engine, Unity, Gamebryo and the engine BF3 uses. But I would like to develop something which in the future I can build upon to improve it.

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Game Engine Guidance

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Game Engine Guidance

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

First off, you should be aware by now that there is no real checklist for creating your engine until you know what it is going to be used for. I also have no idea why you are thinking about tackling C++ code when you had trouble with the concepts in C#, because good engine code is based around two factors primarily:

- Good OOP design.
- Effective use of design patterns.

If you are not completely comfortable with those concepts in C++ your 'engine' is going nowhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I couldn't takle it in C# is because I was not aware of how it was done or the math behind it. I am more sufficient with C++ than C# :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

This is a really good book http://www.google.co...ved=0CE0Q8wIwAg it might help you some. :)

You could also get an open source engine like irrlicht and take a look at how it works. Although there are better ways to do things than irrlicht, as the above book will show.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 14 February 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

This is a really good book http://www.google.co...ved=0CE0Q8wIwAg it might help you some. :)

Had a look at the preview for that book and I don't know exactly what it's trying to explain. It's trying to encompass everything about making games in one volume - not a good idea. Everyone who has given it top marks doesn't appear to be experienced.

In my opinion the Game Programming Gems Series is far superior for acquiring knowledge. I even know some of the authors who are very knowledgeable. You will find these in quite a few game studios.

View Poststayscrisp, on 14 February 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

You could also get an open source engine like irrlicht and take a look at how it works. Although there are better ways to do things than irrlicht, as the above book will show.

Not a bad suggestion at all! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1