1 Replies - 624 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2012 - 10:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating Database Question

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

I need to create a database that will be able to store medical data retrieved from an automated telephone conversation or a website form. This is also not for a class, it's a project I'm working on because a friend asked me too and because I think the idea is pretty cool..
I have programming experience, but I've never made a database before so I'm not exactly sure where to begin or what to use. I would just like to know what I should read or look at or any suggestions of where to begin. I hope this doesn't count as 'doing it for me' as I just want a nudge in the right direction.

I've tried searching on google, but I think I'm not phrasing the question correctly as nothing I find is particularly helpful. I also just checked out a book on MySQL from the library, but haven't gotten past the intro since I still have to do my actual homework.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating Database Question

• Catch me As Exception
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating Database Question

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hey..

Before answering your question, there's a few questions I have to ask,

What are the programming languages you're comfortable with?

There are many commercial and open source Database Management Systems(DBMS) out there. If you're familiar with .NET languages, I suggest you choose Microsoft SQL Server (2008 would be good) as the backend DBMS for your application.

Since you've said you have never worked with databases, I suppose you don't know SQL. Getting a good understanding in SQL fundamentals is essential when you're making a application with a backend database 'cause you'll be using SQL queries all over your app. Here are some good places to start on that.

http://msdn.microsof...=sql.90%29.aspx

http://www.w3schools...sql/default.asp

Oh and you can create a website form as the front end for the user to input data and they get saved in the database but I doubt you could retrieve data through a telephone conversation. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1