10 Replies - 2451 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My app idea

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hello all!
I know this forum is the place to be if you have some kind of problem with your code more than just asking other people to do it for you. As I just want opinions about my idea for an app, I hope this doesn't fall under that rule. If it does I'd like to apologise and have this topic moved or deleted.

Now on to the main thing.

For a while I've been playing with the idea to create my own app (more a game really) for Android.
The only thing is, I'm new to the scene and I'd like to have some opinions of you experienced Android programmers.

Here's my idea:

I'd like to create an app revolving around Pokémon (yes, you've heard it right, Pokémon).

More into detail, I want to create an app where you have a main screen in which you can choose Pokémon generations (there are currently 5 generations of Pokémon if I'm not mistaking).
If you have chosen one, ore multiple generations (for example generation 1 and 2, going to about let's say 300 different Pokémon) you get taken to the next screen.
This screen would be a random picture of one of the Pokémon inside those generations, so if you have chosen generation 1 and 2 for example, a random Pokémon would be chosen between 300 Pokémon.

Under the image I'd want multiple choises, for example 4 different names of Pokémon (of which only one is the correct one). You would then have to choose one of the names. If you choose the correct one you get a point (haven't really put much thought in the point system, I'd figured that comes later), if not you don't get a point.
After the choice you can choose if you'd like to continue playing.
If yes, you'd be given a new random picture of the generations you've chosen and choose between names again, you get the point ;)

Now as you see I've put some thought into this, but I'd really appreciate some opinions of more experienced android programmers on how I can start on this project, what would be the best way or for example how do I store all those pictures of Pokémon in my project (there are about 600 Pokémon at the moment), without getting my app an immense size.

Sorry for wal of text, but I hope I could get other people's opinions or tips out of this!
Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My app idea

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My app idea

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Moved out of the android news to the regular android forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 February 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Moved out of the android news to the regular android forum.

Thank you for that. I'm new here, wasn't quite sure where to post it ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Nobody? :'(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Storing 600 images isnt that bad just make them low res and store them as jpegs or pngs and while also you need some radio buttons as well as a way to keep track of the right one i suggest a datebase with pic and correct answer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postaaronpoweruser, on 14 March 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Storing 600 images isnt that bad just make them low res and store them as jpegs or pngs and while also you need some radio buttons as well as a way to keep track of the right one i suggest a datebase with pic and correct answer

Thank you for your answer.
Any hints on How i put this all in a database. Which kind of database? And How do i reach this db from my app.
Sorry for the questions, but as i said i'm a noob at Android programming :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostDude36, on 14 March 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

View Postaaronpoweruser, on 14 March 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Thank you for your answer.
Any hints on How i put this all in a database. Which kind of database? And How do i reach this db from my app.
Sorry for the questions, but as i said i'm a noob at Android programming :)

a sql database same on mysql just a mobile version so simpile puts and gets if your not good at sql though a 2 d array would be easier
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Your biggest problem in Nintendo. They've made it a goal to take down any app that shows up with pokemon in it. So just as a warning, this most likely won't be able to stay on the Google Play store.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

View Postaaronpoweruser, on 15 March 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

a sql database same on mysql just a mobile version so simpile puts and gets if your not good at sql though a 2 d array would be easier

This would indeed be easier and something I would probably be able to pull of, thanks for the insight ;)

View Postgqgk, on 16 March 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Your biggest problem in Nintendo. They've made it a goal to take down any app that shows up with pokemon in it. So just as a warning, this most likely won't be able to stay on the Google Play store.

Do you think Nintendo will take it down? As this would just be some kind of fan-app, which isn't going to affect their sales at all lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostDude36, on 26 March 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

View Postaaronpoweruser, on 15 March 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

This would indeed be easier and something I would probably be able to pull of, thanks for the insight ;)

View Postgqgk, on 16 March 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Do you think Nintendo will take it down? As this would just be some kind of fan-app, which isn't going to affect their sales at all lol.

Yes nintendo would take it down, and they might try and sue you as well. If this is your first time playing with android then I would reccomend something quicker and much more simple. For example a good starting point would be something that calculates the Pythagorean theorem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

This exact exact exact game is available in the Apple App store already. (Not available for Android, I've looked)

The idea is exactly as you listed:
The player chooses what generation(s) they want to be tested on.
They then play the game and are presented with the silhouette of a pokemon.
They are given four possible names for the pokemon and must choose the correct one.

If they get it correct they are allowed to continue, and are awarded 1 point. If they are incorrect they are returned to the menu screen. I can't remember what points do, but I think you can buy something with them...

I have played this App, and promise it exists.

So for your idea, I'd say its quite un-original, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Especially since it doesn't currently exist in the Android market as far as I know.

This post has been edited by wd40bomber7: 04 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1