4 Replies - 1892 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

So I have a $1200 Best Buy Gift Card...

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

That I received because a replacement wasn't available for my laptop that crapped out on a $300 Best Buy Black Tie warranty.
I'm really looking for a power house like this G74SX-BBK9 but they're out of stock right now.
I have my iPad 2 for mobile computing.

Just wondering what D.I.C.'s opinion was as to what I should get.

It looks like I'm just holding on to it for now. Apple has a lot to live up to in the next month so it might be for the best.

A little insight:
Not really looking for a desktop. I live in the boonies and wouldn't be able to do much with it because internet isn't an option where I live. However I commute to college every day where the internet is superb.

This post has been edited by DillonSalsman: 13 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So I have a $1200 Best Buy Gift Card...

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So I have a $1200 Best Buy Gift Card...

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

What are your needs? What are you concerned about? You can't just ask what laptop to get.

For example with my girlfriend, we just but her a little i5 laptop. She wanted something with reasonable power saving capabilities, it had to be small form-factor (light weight) because she commutes by train 50 miles round trip every day, have good sound quality, and HDMI outputs for hooking it up to the TV at home.

From there we just picked the best price for the memory and storage punch. Ended up with a Gateway ID47H02u, and it was pretty nice.

http://reviews.cnet....7-34865044.html

So what are your needs!?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

I started with a G71 (older version of the laptop I linked to).
Awesome performance, just a pain to carry around. However. These days I carry far less textbooks due to the availability of ebooks and my iPad.

Then had the 13.3" MBP (Late 2009) which was.. alright. Not bad, liked the bridge between simple interface and unix, but way underpowered.

So I'm feeling strongly about the similar model. But I'm getting tech cravings and really don't want to wait (patience is a virtue.. patience is a virtue).

If I listen to the first wants that come to mind: I'm looking for viewing real estate, performance for gaming/virtual OSes, and just a tad of portability.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for.. I guess just difference point of views. But since I'm the one who has to live with the purchase I guess its kind of dumb to ask others.

Maybe I should just go with a more mid range laptop and having some spending money for other gadgets.

Off to class, thanks for input, I'll check back later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Maybe I should just go with a more mid range laptop and having some spending money for other gadgets.

I agree. I wouldn't pass up a small 32" LCD tv if you were super cool and used the remainder to get me..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Sell it for cash value to some schmuck & buy a piece of hardware right from the manufacturer.

That's exactly what I would do with it. F*ck Best Buy & their pos stocked equipment/factory reject stock.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1