10 Replies - 5366 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What aspect of Computer Science uses the least math?

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I confess. I'm a computer science major. I love computers but i hate math. I've been cool with most of my comp sci classes thus far as a junior but the two algorithm classes i had to take i disliked. I originally wanted to get into game design/development but I heard that involves a lot of math/algorithms. Now i don't know what to do. I plan to go to graduate school. Should i change majors in graduate school? Is there a branch of computer science that doesn't require as much math?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What aspect of Computer Science uses the least math?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What aspect of Computer Science uses the least math?

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

What sort of grad school are you planning on doing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 February 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

What sort of grad school are you planning on doing?

I'm going for a Masters degree if thats what you're asking?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Oh a Masters in Comp sci then? Not say buisness, law, philosophy, etc?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Oh a Masters in Comp sci then? Not say buisness, law, philosophy, etc?

Well, that was what i was asking. I originally wanted to go for a Masters in Comp sci, but those algorithm classes have me second guessing.

I'm not a "people" person so business, law ect.. would probably not work for me. If possible, it would be better if it was still somewhat related to computers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Most grad programs have you hitting upper level algo classes and what not. Most will probably expect some level of math involved. I guess you *COULD* try and circumnavigate those classes but that might raise an eyebrow.

Perhaps trying more on your math while shifting your world view paradigm would be better? Remove yourself from the artificially created adversarial construct of math, you, and hate - and learn to take math as a tool for you to use rather than a sparring partner.

I would suggest working your issues out before you decide to go all willy-nilly off to grad school. (Oblig: I hear the navy likes using computers.)

Being you only have three posts here I couldn't really recommend any other course to take. I have no idea your likes, dislikes, personality, etc. Regarding computers - well most jobs require interaction with them. Auto-mechanics, lab workers, social workers, djs at strip clubs, etc. Why not take your bachelors and use that? why grad school?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Any Masters program in computer science that is worth studying requires Algorithms to be a core subject. There is no way to get through without some understanding of algorithms. I'd imagine that a subject like archeology might not involve either math or people skills - but I have no clue as I was a computer science student.

I'd take modi123_1's suggestion and reevaluate your view point. Math that is required for majority of positions in the current economy is not really that hard at all. It has been my experience that almost every subject looks daunting as soon as you start learning a little more than the basics of it. If you push yourself forward, putting aside your completely baseless prejudice against the subject, you will soon realize that it was not that bad at all. Once you have a handful of years behind you working with the subject, you will even start to understand them more intuitively and begin to wonder why it looked so hard when you first glanced at it.

A lot of subjects hide math and other subjects quite well, but math is really everywhere. Take painting for example - a good painter knows a lot about proportions, ratios, depth estimation, projection, optics, viscosity, surface tension,and a whole bunch of subjects. He may not learn them formally, but he would have a very good idea of how to apply them to his work.

This post has been edited by LaughingBelly: 13 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm with the other guys. Work on your math, and it will pay off big time. Maybe you can start making games like you previously wanted to. Don't give up on a whole field just because of a single subject.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

A lot of the math you need for CS isn't the algebra-trig-calc track you got in high school. Check out some basic number theory and see if that's a little more fun. Set theory is cool, too, and of course game theory is neat stuff, and critical if you ever want to understand economics, evolution, or ethics.
Some of this might even be a back door into the stuff you think you don't like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

It seems the common consensus here is that I should suck it up and learn it.

I was talking with my professor while getting help for one of the algorithm problems and she said that she didn't expect us students to be able to do it without guidance yet. That made me feel a lot better.

I'll try studying my butt off on algorithms and hopefully maybe my attitude will change, I am change something after committing to it for 4 years .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Well... as jon.kiparsky mentioned there are different areas of math.
You may find some areas you like. Image analysis and signal processing seems to be founded heavily on statistics while formal verification is focused heavily on modeling systems and proving properties about them. The math for computational geometry also feels different.
You can try to figure out which type of math you prefer and go for that area.

As you said you can just suck it up, but you can also try to figure out which types of math you prefer and aim towards that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1