Can someone tell me what this is?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1136 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2012 - 12:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can someone tell me what this is?

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have no experience in gaming but I was sent here from a physics forum. To make the story short my room-mate was in a math class and the teacher posted this "equation" on the board. He said no one had ever figured this out. It looked more like physics to me so I first posted it on a physics forum but got no help there, other then someone suggesting I ask programers as it looked more like programing. If someone can describe to me what this is... and if it can even be solved it would really help me as I have made a bet with my room mate I would have an answer for him. Thank you in advanced

Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can someone tell me what this is?

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

You bet your roommate that you could answer it, so you start asking on the internet for others to solve it for you so that you could win the bet? Sounds like you might end up paying for that mistake.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostKilorn, on 15 February 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

You bet your roommate that you could answer it, so you start asking on the internet for others to solve it for you so that you could win the bet? Sounds like you might end up paying for that mistake.

Its not as if I hadn't first attempted it, then looked everywhere I possibly could for an answer first. Its not a bet of monetary value so if its something I lose I won't feel bad. I just wanted to help him more or less answer a question that the teacher claims has never been answered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

When you say "hasn't been solved" are you talking about his class or for all of man kind?

Side note - I am taking a stab here, but LERP usually means "linear interpolation". That's about structures of curves.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Just a quick glance, but there are a lot of advanced mathematical concepts in that equation. Multiple summation operators, a Max function, linear interpolation, and I have no idea what orange and yellow are.

P2 is just a Max function performed to find the larger of the numbers on either side of the comma. So either 0, or whatever the result of the right-side argument is. To go beyond that, the entire thing is then cubed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

maybe orange and yellow are hex so to convert them to decimal

orange = 0xff8000 (possibly) so decimal 16744448
yellow = 0xffff00 (possibly) so decimal 16776960
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 February 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

When you say "hasn't been solved" are you talking about his class or for all of man kind?

Side note - I am taking a stab here, but LERP usually means "linear interpolation". That's about structures of curves.

I would assume just the class, the teacher has been teaching 20+ years and I could only assume he puts this up each year to make the students feel bad lol.

Heres what I got from a member on another site, donno if this helps you guys at all.

anonymous said:

All those "r" s look like they could be Gamma char's and the "B" looks like it could be the Beta char
(both are math fxn's in high frequency)
my background is BSEE high frequency and UV light falls into the high frequency spectrum (hence why those chars stood out to me) as well as "Pmax" and "noise" which also weigh in heavily when doing high frequency- I do not think this is a code/game function at all (could be wrong though)...

It has been a long time since I have done any RF but; can you provide a little more background as to what the class is on? is it an RF class? is it an EE class? what level of math is it? (I assume differential equ- but why is your friend taking it then?)
there needs to be "some" context- there are just simply too many math equations out there to randomly guess what this is doing- and the green marker white board can be interpreted various ways

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

That's actually a pretty good guess, stayscrisp. Definitely better than anything I could've guessed that it was supposed to be. There's also an SStep in that Lerp function which isn't defined.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

I agree with the other forum - context.

What math class is this? What level? Why did you think to post it in our game programming section?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I agree with the other forum - context.

What math class is this? What level? Why did you think to post it in our game programming section?

Its an algebra class with a teacher with a big ego, im sure at this point the teacher has posted a question that has nothing to do with the course.

A few people on the physics forum suggested that I try a computer coding forum as it could possibly be coding, it didnt look familiar to several of them so I thought I would try over here as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Yeah I got why you were here - but why game development? Is there something "video game related" that is implied by the situation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

A few members suggested that it looked like color/texture coding. Again neither things I am familiar with so I figured I would run it by the pros... thus what brought me here. I have atleast been able to narrow this problem down to what it is not and I think thats a bit further then anyone else has gotten. I am simply looking in every direction I am given for clues so I appreciate everyone's help here and I am sorry if it hasnt been code related.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

No, you miss understand. I understand WHY you are here (someone told you to come ask programmers) but I am attempting to figure out *WHY* you put it here - in the game programming sub forum; as if there might be some undisclosed inkling of yours this might be a game programming versus say some computer science baked gibberish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Ohhh, no to be completely honest I had no idea where to put it, gaming was the first thing that came to mind and I saw that this subforum was pretty busy so figured this would be the best place to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think this could be noise based texturing? I definitely think it's some kind of procedural texture generation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +