1 Replies - 1149 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Entry level jobs

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

A lot of people on this forum seem to be having trouble breaking into the industry - getting that first job from which they will build a career from. Are entry level jobs really so difficult to get these days? There is a huge demand for developers that have a couple of years experience here in the UK. I get recruiters phoning me up on a regular basis, and all my colleagues know that they really could just walk into another job, in practically any city in the country. It really is a good time to be a software developer.

The way I got into the industry was by developing a portfolio of voluntary projects which I built - in my case, PHP/MySQL websites. I was also lucky enough to land a couple of summer jobs which were IT related - games testing and website building. I wasn't initally very good at either, but they were something to add to the CV in order to get that first development job. My CV was a combination of my CS degree, and the experience I had got via voluntary projects, and summer jobs. This was enough to get me an entry 'junior developer' job, which was a terrible job really, but one which launched my career. These days, if I was doing it again, I would also look at doing small paid projects on freelance websites such as odesk.com and elance.com. It's important not to rely too heavily on educational qualifications, although they are important, but instead concentrate on gaining experience. Use that study time to gain unpaid work experience, and that will usually actually be much more impressive to show to a potential employer than your 'A' in differential calculus. Show you can be practical and get the job done.

I will also say that, although technical skills and education are important, a lot of employers will be judging your people skills. They want to take on someone that will get on with the team, can meet clients now and then, and generally not annoy the hell out of everyone by being a pedantic primadonna egotist. Do have other interests than coding. Do go out and meet people, and have a proper social life. People skills are increasingly important. In my workplace, they are probably more important than technical skills. This is not uncommon.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 15 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Entry level jobs

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Entry level jobs

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

I agree and would add that most hiring managers wouldn't know the difference between C and HTML, so they're going to judge you more on people skills and experience than anything else. Experience is a tough one to break through and can prevent you from getting the interview, but if you do get it then you need to worry more about other factors than your technical skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1