• +
  • « First
  • Last »

1996 Replies - 70114 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What are you working on today?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Trying to decide whether to stay up or go back to sleep after eating a nice bacon-wrapped steak burger for lunch, afterwards I'll probably do some combination of watching Direwolf20 videos on youtube, work on C++ homework and/or java extra exercises for class/because java is fun, and play skyrim/minecraft.

only being able to take online classes is a blessing/curse
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Entering our entire year's worth of athletics schedules into Google calendar, then updating news articles, a quick bowl of soup for lunch, a meeting with the new head of advising, all followed by working on getting this new site pumped out.

Later tonight, I'll do laundry and work on focus group surveys for next week's grind of you-don't-have-time-for-lunch-because-you-have-meetings-at-noon-every-single-day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

I have no idea what I'm working on today since our supervisor is out and barely anyone has been showing up for the three days actually scheduled (we get 11 and 12 off too along with the students). I've just been picking random stuff that needs doing- one of those days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

i got 100% on my microprocessor electronics midterm. jus' sayin. nbd.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm currently on the Generics part of the Java Tutorials and I have trouble with the Type Inference part.

Basically this:

in the following example, inference determines that the second argument being passed to the pick method is of type Serializable

static <T> T pick(T a1, T a2) { return a2; }
Serializable s = pick("d", new ArrayList<String>());

Uh, so does this mean just because of the expected return type then Java knows that the second argument is Serializable? What about the first argument? The head aches.

I'll probably read up on Essential Classes after this one, and the SCJP stuff(though I'm not planning on taking them).

Update:

Quite happy, I answered the non - coding questions correctly, maybe except 11 where I have doubts about my answer.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to read on Generics again. ^^

This post has been edited by fromTheSprawl: 10 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#936 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

404 pages... a moderate face palm at the (non)existent ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#937 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Last month we blew merrily through the deadline to go to QA. Last week, we entered a 6-week QA cycle, with development still proceeding feverishly. Yesterday, we settled on a build process that doesn't involve the lead developer pulling code off his laptop. Tomorrow, there's a meeting which might settle on the new timetable for delivery, which will have no relation to any previous time table.

Today, the client ops guy submits an issue saying that processing is too slow, and can we please improve performance by 20%. So we're going to be at least a quarter behind on the release, and he wants us to go back to a back-end design phase.

I spent two hours trying to talk him down off that ledge. I think it worked, I'll find out tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Today I sent off the last change requests for our satellite project, which will save the BBC X million per year by reducing the bandwidth required on satellites for the BBC Red Button service.

It is quite cool working with satellites, but I will be happier when it's confirmed that it's all working as expected, and I can move a team to where the Real Programmers work, instead of us humble broadcast engineer types.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 11 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#939 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

View Postwordswords, on 11 October 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Today I sent off the last change requests for our satellite project, which will save the BBC X million per year by reducing the bandwidth required on satellites for the BBC Red Button service.

It is quite cool working with satellites, but I will be happier when it's confirmed that it's all working as expected, and I can move a team to where the Real Programmers work, instead of us humble broadcast engineer types.

So, I hate to be "that guy" but since you're at the BBC, is there anything you can do about getting the iPlayer to work for the archived epsiodes of In Our Time?

I mean, unless you're busy or something. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#940 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

I got to play with some nice, thick caulk today. Man, my hands got so messy and sticky.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 11 October 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

So, I hate to be "that guy" but since you're at the BBC, is there anything you can do about getting the iPlayer to work for the archived epsiodes of In Our Time?

I mean, unless you're busy or something. :)

Heh. I am but a very little cog in a very big machine. Although saying that, there is a push from within the BBC to put as much archived content on iPlayer as possible, both domestic normal iPlayer (which only brits should be watching) and international iPlayer (which you have to subscribe to). So, yes it's definitely on its way. They just need to work out the legalities. When it was recorded, most content was never designed to be viewed in an 'on demand' way, so they have to legally clear each programme, and make sure the license fee payers are getting compensated for their initial investment, etc. There is no technical reason why we can't do it, it is all about the legalities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#942 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

View Postwordswords, on 11 October 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

There is no technical reason why we can't do it, it is all about the legalities.

To be honest I suspect it's a real audio issue. The archived episodes were playing fine, until they weren't - I imagine that they're stored in an obsolete version of the format or something, and an update pushed them out of lifetime.
It's not a big deal, because you can download the episodes from another section of the site - but that doesn't let you listen to them in sequence, which I was rather enjoying. I'm caught up to about 2006, and I'm really enjoying the way Melvyn Bragg structures a season.

I think these are what we call "first world problems". :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#943 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

So it's just after midnight and I'm starting in on figuring out what the build scripts are going to look like for the Project From Hell. Thinking about cracking into some of my remaining homebrew.

File under #I'dratherbelearningmorescala
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

My boss thinks I am working...but no...I am spending my time productively on the forums in Dream In Code :) B)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#945 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

POPULAR

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 11 October 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

My boss thinks I am working...but no...I am spending my time productively on the forums in Dream In Code :) B)

It's called "research"
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• (134 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »