8 Replies - 3496 Views - Last Post: 20 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Poll: Java or Python? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Java or Python?

1. Java (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Python (3 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java or Python is more comfortable for WEB development?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Good morning,

Last three days I have been thinking about what is more comfortable for WEB development, Java or Python?

What I think about:

Python: Python is very effectively and flexible, and „that lets you work more quickly“. The python code is more complex than Java, because Java programming language's syntax is like a C/C++ and etc, but Python... is exclusive, like Ruby (I think so, because yesterday I have red an article about Ruby hello world application)

Java: As I already said, Java syntax is like a default. Application wrote with Java is more bigger than Python, for example „Hello world“ application:

In Python:

print "Hello world"

In Java:

class HelloWorld {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello world");
    }
}

So imagine it, when you're writing a Java program like calculator, your code will be like an elephant, however, if you write a calculator application with Python programming language, your program will be more smaller than program with Java.

This was an example for languages comparison. :) I really don't know if this is true. :)

So, what is your opition about these two languages? It is very difficult to me to choose right language between two (Java and Python).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Java or Python is more comfortable for WEB development?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java or Python is more comfortable for WEB development?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Well... I don't really like Java, so I'm probably a bit biased. As far as languages go, Python is one of my favourites.

I haven't done web development with Java at all, because I don't like Java, but I've messed about with Django, which is a Python web development framework. Django was really nice to work with, it pretty much abstracts the database away and lets you concentrate on the actual content.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hello Tayacan,

So if I choose Python programming language, I won't to choose wrong? Because I am afraid that I'll choose wrong programming language and in the future I won't be able to learn another language quickly. What are you thinking about it, what is your opition about it?

Thanks you a lot. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

If you learn Python, you'll easily be able to pick up Java, or any other object oriented language. However, if this is your first language, I would consider either not doing web at first, or doing web in a language like PHP, which was designed for that purpose.

Of course, if you learn Java first, you'll also easily be able to learn Python - I just don't really like Java, so I'm gonna recommend Python. Some arguments for Python: It doesn't have so much syntax. In Python, you don't have to worry about missing semicolons and unmatched brackets (at least not as much as in a C-like language like Java), you can concentrate on understanding the logic instead. Also, it comes with a Read-Eval-Print Loop, which makes it easy to experiment with.

Good luck with it :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

I don't know how to say that correctly, but with PHP systems, I have 2 years practise, so WEB development isn't a new thing for me. :)

I want to change programming language, because PHP is not so quickly and flexible than another languages, and if I create a large project, I think about web page load speed as more as I can. So this is a hard work to improve speed in web.

Thanks for your opition Tayacan

I am still waiting another programmers opition and please, vote in poll block :)

This post has been edited by Faitas: 17 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

You go with whatever YOU are most comfortable with. Between your two choices, I would choose Python because I'm far more comfortable with it (worked with it off and on since the mid-90s) than Java (never really worked with it).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

I am more comfortable with Java.. but for web development I would choose python defintely (although maybe java is still being used a lot but I don't know where). PHP is more accessible as it works on more servers, but I have done Python using Django and it is really nice!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Dont use Java for web, unless you work in a corporation that uses it. The amount of framework that you need to know in order to do simple stuff is quite big: Hibernate, Spring etc etc. I guess, stick to PHP, although if you are up for the challenge, consider Python + Django. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for your opition. I choosed Python programming language, and I am going with it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1