8 Replies - 4316 Views - Last Post: 09 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is a Career Change from Petroleum Engineer to Programmer Doable

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi there, this is my first post. I am seeking a career change from petroleum engineer to software programmer. I have a rather ambitious goal of creating a kids interactive website from scratch, an example of what I have in mind is ixl.com but with a different content.

I already know ASP.Net, HTML and CSS, VB and C++. All these I taught myself and was able to create an ecommerce website for a close friend. My question is, what else do I need to get started and can I achieve it in 1-2yrs or less or is it a totally unachievable plan for a newbie?

I really really love programming, it makes my heart sing and I am hoping I can be a freelance website designer/programmer and be able to spend more time with the kids working from home, the major reason for the career change. Will I need to learn Java amongst other stuff?

I am absolutely committed to this venture and very open and actually look forward to learning new skills but I need to know if its doable, I mean a newbie who does not have a CS degree.
I look forward to reading from you all. Many thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is a Career Change from Petroleum Engineer to Programmer Doable

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is a Career Change from Petroleum Engineer to Programmer Doable

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

*Moved to Corner Cubicle*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

If you are seeking a career change then i guess you are not 12. What i mean by this is that you are aware of the fact that if you commit to something, spend time on it, work hard you will achieve it. Why do you need a pat on the back. People WITH CS degrees can be herendous at programming so having one does not mean, you are a programmer or not.

*Official pat on the back*
Good luck.

This post has been edited by darek9576: 18 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I would suggest you develop your web project in the evenings, while you keep your engineering job. When you are making sufficient income from the site to quit your job, then do so. The reason I suggest this, is because new web ventures are risky. If you want to just change career and develop websites all day because you love it, then why not go work for a web agency, where you will be doing just that. If you do work for a web agency, you will also gain commercial experience in developing websites, which you can use to have a better chance at launching your personal web project.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 18 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

Get a degree. Apply for a job. Mission accomplished.

I did the same thing. CS wasn't my original occupation, but with some effort you can make it work.

You can skip the degree, maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. Yes, a lot of people with degrees don't know jack and a lot of people without degrees rock at coding. Problem is the guys at HR might now be able to judge that. They might use the degree as a first filter to weed out people.

I don't know if this is available where you live, but around here you could take a correspondence course and get your degree while working on your current job.

This post has been edited by Nightfish: 23 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm a chemical engineer but I study with a few petroleum engineers and I am aware of what they do. I agree with what wordswords is saying, an engineering job is going to be much more stable (from what I get in the general discussion of these things). I wish as engineers we learnt more about programming (I was only taught MATLAB and I forgot it in 2 weeks) and now I find myself learning about some UNIX engine at work because I wasn't taught about coding/development etc which is useful to us engineers.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi. I signed up to this forum site just to reply to this post.

I'm absolutely glad I ran into this forum posting on a random google search of "engineering to programming/coding". Reason being?...

I myself am a Civil Engineer, working with road designs at a full time job and having about 2 years under my belt. However, in the past year I started to become more interested in programming and coding. Began to read all these blog site about it and have now started with baby steps with free online lessons of Javascript on codeacademy.com (and possibly more languages such as Ruby) - and I am enjoying it !

My situation is similar to yours Yetty 1414 - would like to continue working with engineering as I do need the income to pay for the house I live in and everyday stuff with my fiance. But I do aspire to do what you plan to do - freelance it (and perhaps even bring in additional income somehow through making websites or applications)

So just wanted to express that your forum posting has motivated me more to learn how to program no matter the frustrations that come with it, knowing that I'm not the only engineer out there in this situation.

I am interested to know what sources you used to teach yourself all those programming languages? Any tips or words of advice? How long it took you? How you managed to share your time between work and learning programming?

Cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hello hack&pwn,

I was even more inspired when I read your post. What I really love about programming is the idea that I am creating something from scratch and when itís all done, I get an indescribable feeling of fulfillment. I agree that itís tough finding time for this pursuit in addition to having a regular job particularly if itís a demanding one. Having a 9/80 work schedule helps and we all know that when we believe something is important to us, we make time for it.

To answer your question regarding the materials I used, for basic HTML and CSS when I was just starting out, I used Build Your Own Website the Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd and Beginning ASP.Net 3.5 in C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars (a newer version based on ASP.NET 4.0 is out so also is a newer version of Ian Lloydís book). I loved these two books and I would recommend them to anyone just starting out. I got both from Amazon.

Best of luck to both of us!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1