6 Replies - 971 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Languages needed to enter a hack off?

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

My school is hosting a hack off next month and I want to join but I only know C++ and HTML and I am still fairly new to C++. I want to be prepared next year, can anyone tell me what languages and experience i will need to have? The competition includes:
Researching and Building an API
Developing a Mobile App
Developing a next-iteration module for an existing product or platform
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Languages needed to enter a hack off?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Languages needed to enter a hack off?

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

UPDATE: Its officially called a hackathon. sorry
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

How are we supposed to know about your school's hackoff? Does the hackoff have a website with this information? Programming competitions generally don't limit the languages that can be used, but that's not necessarily the case for your school. The most popular mobile programming languages are Java (Android) and Objective-C (iPhone).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postblackcompe, on 18 February 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

How are we supposed to know about your school's hackoff? Does the hackoff have a website with this information?

Here is the website http://nkuhackathon.eventbrite.com/ but there is little to no information. That's the only info we get until the day of. I was just curious in general what hackathons consisted of. Im really new to the concept and had no idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Also I asked in another post where i could find a hackathon. They said to Google it and locked my thread, but i have Googled and i cannot find anything except the one at my school. I live right across from Cincinnati. Any help is appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

You can use any language you want. Look at the first point, Researching and building and api. Now go look at all the stuff available to connect to the twitter api.

You can connect to twitter with basically every semi-modern language.

However, I do find C++ a bit harder to do anything in if you don't have a bunch of experience because there are a lot of missing features.

C++ doesn't have a good native gui, Windows32 api is an absolute mess compared to something like Swing or winforms.

C++ doesn't have a good web interface. You have to download libaries and use Sockets, which can be a pain. In java and C# the task is simplified ten fold.

C++ doesn't have a good filesystem interface. You can read and write files, but you have to use platform specific api calls to get any file info. Again java and C# have all this built in.

In spite all those annoyances, C++ has boost (It's a library, I highly suggest you google it and install it).

I started with C++ and I think its a great language but I find myself moving towards something like Java or C# if I know the project will need a gui or any sort of web connection because it speeds up the development process.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

To springboard off what eker676 said, you will want to use a language that is best suited for the domain of the problem. C++ is a great language in my opinion, but when it comes to mobile technologies there are alternatives which will make your life much easier. C++ would be just fine for the API project though (depending on the requirements of the API). Writing your own library, even a trivial one, can be a great way to become more familiar with your language of choice.

The website does mention that you would be using open source technologies, so you already have some idea of what sort of toolset you should bring to the table. Regardless of whether you compete or not, you should go anyways. It would be a great opportunity to network with like minded individuals, and gain a better understanding of what technologies are currently in use.

-alias
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1