3 Replies - 3145 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Port 80 randomly opens and closes, port forwarding set up perfectly.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Ohai, not got highest of hopes in this, as it keeps happening.
I run a Windows Server 2008 R2 box in my office. It's a production server, running IIS 7.5 and hosting several websites - both personal and clientele.

Problem: Port 80 keeps opening and closing randomly. Currently, it's been closed for the past 3 hours.
I've tried everything - resetting the router, rebooting the server, re-setting my port forwarding (which was perfect before), resetting the router, setting each website up to go to a particular IP address on the box (there's 20, for domain services)... you name it, I've tried it.

This will be the 5th time this has happened now. I've checked that it's just port 80 by running a few game servers for some friends - minecraft on 25565, terraria on 7777, crysis wars on 24832. They all open and stay open. And an xbox running in another office (a testing unit, mind you), has all it's Live ports open fine. It's just IIS and port 80..

Does anyone here have ANY idea what this might be.

P.s: IIS is configured correctly through the firewall, I even went as far as to disable it...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Port 80 randomly opens and closes, port forwarding set up perfectly.

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Port 80 randomly opens and closes, port forwarding set up perfectly.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Assuming this is Windows, I would boot into SafeMode with networking. It's possible that a rogue program is binding to the port.

If this is Linux/Unix, you can use netstat to view which processes are binding ports.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Additionally, you can use "netstat -f" from the Windows command prompt. If the issue is still occurring, you could also route through port 8080 until the issue can be addressed. I only mention that due to the fact that you are hosting client websites.

-alias
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

View Postalias120, on 26 February 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Additionally, you can use "netstat -f" from the Windows command prompt. If the issue is still occurring, you could also route through port 8080 until the issue can be addressed. I only mention that due to the fact that you are hosting client websites.

-alias

Thanks for the advice guys. It seemed to be a combined issue involving my router and my ISP not playing nice. Routing through port 8080 solved the problem in the interim while they sorted their shit out.

Rebooting into safe mode (yes, WinServ08R2 x64 box) with networking didn't return anything rogue - however, there was the odd occasion where IIS wasn't binding. This turned out to be due to my loopback ping for Keep-Alive, ISP were being douchey about it. +1's all round.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1