9 Replies - 2461 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2012 - 04:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My VB6 app will not work on a computer unless I also install VB6.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

This is a problem, because I want to have my application VB6 exe file installed on computers that does dot have VB6 installed and do not want VB6 installed.
I use the common dialog component in the toobox, and I use the listview control.
I get the error msg: the file COMCTL32.OCX or one of its dependencies is missing or not properly registered.
I have put all the COMCTL32.* files in the folder C:\windows\system32, but it does not help.
I think there must be some way to put in some files somewhere without installing whole VB6.
I cannot find out how, and I have tried a lot.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My VB6 app will not work on a computer unless I also install VB6.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My VB6 app will not work on a computer unless I also install VB6.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

You need to distribute the VB6 runtime files with you application.

If you use the Package and Deployment wizard to build and installation set, then it should solve your problems.

Have a look here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

any DLL file (.dll) or ActiveX file (.oxc) most be transfered with the program to the other computer you want to have it otherwise the program will crash or some parts of it will not work correctly/at all.
Package and Deployment wizard can help you and you could try using Install Creator, a free program(have also 1 time paid version with more options) for creating install files to programs or anything else you want.
please note: oxc files most be in the same folder as the exe file of your program.
dll files are depended on how you reference to them and if you reference them via VB6-->Project-->References then the dll most be in same drive and folder as on the computer where the program was complied.
aka if you reference to C:\some folder\someDLL.dll then the other computer where you install the program most have the dll in C:\some folder\someDLL.dll or parts in code related to that file wont work (but the program probably continue running.)

if you reference by late binding aka similar way to this:

Public Declare Function AccessCheck Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "AccessCheck" (pSecurityDescriptor As SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR, ByVal ClientToken As Long, ByVal DesiredAccess As Long, GenericMapping As GENERIC_MAPPING, PrivilegeSet As PRIVILEGE_SET, PrivilegeSetLength As Long, GrantedAccess As Long, ByVal Status As Long) As Long

then DLL file most be in same folder as the exe of your program or it will crash.

i reccomand using Install Creator since its easy to use and will help with these problems.

one final note: if you have INI file you most include it too or the program may seems to load but will crash without giving error messages.

This post has been edited by Neku: 20 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Personally, I wouldn't use the P&D wizard. There are some serious bugs in it, as it was created before Microsoft decided that system dll's could only be updated in service packs. (It attempts to overwrite system dll's, asks you to restart your system to do that, the system doesn't allow it, P&D tries again, asks you to restart so it can, system doesn't allow it, etc. ad infinitum.) Rather, I would use (and have used) Microsoft Visual Studio Installer. For more, see here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I personally use Wise for VB6 installers, didn't know of any free ones except PDW.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostNeku, on 20 February 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

any DLL file (.dll) or ActiveX file (.oxc) most be transfered with the program to the other computer you want to have it otherwise the program will crash or some parts of it will not work correctly/at all.
Package and Deployment wizard can help you and you could try using Install Creator, a free program(have also 1 time paid version with more options) for creating install files to programs or anything else you want.
please note: oxc files most be in the same folder as the exe file of your program.
dll files are depended on how you reference to them and if you reference them via VB6-->Project-->References then the dll most be in same drive and folder as on the computer where the program was complied.
aka if you reference to C:\some folder\someDLL.dll then the other computer where you install the program most have the dll in C:\some folder\someDLL.dll or parts in code related to that file wont work (but the program probably continue running.)

if you reference by late binding aka similar way to this:

Public Declare Function AccessCheck Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "AccessCheck" (pSecurityDescriptor As SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR, ByVal ClientToken As Long, ByVal DesiredAccess As Long, GenericMapping As GENERIC_MAPPING, PrivilegeSet As PRIVILEGE_SET, PrivilegeSetLength As Long, GrantedAccess As Long, ByVal Status As Long) As Long

then DLL file most be in same folder as the exe of your program or it will crash.

i reccomand using Install Creator since its easy to use and will help with these problems.

one final note: if you have INI file you most include it too or the program may seems to load but will crash without giving error messages.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

The PDW did help. But the Creator is newer,faster and better and is easy to use. I will use the Creator (pro) because I have a lot of sub folders to the app folder. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

in install creator just mark the "include sub-directories" checkbox it will automatically include all sub folders and any files they might hold.
also you can choose to install different files in different locations.
in the file tab go to windows tab and choose where you want it to install but notice that when uninstalling these files may not be removed.
also if you have a file in a sub folder you dont want to install just mark the "dont install" checkbox, should it be the only file in the folder and you dont want to install in but want the folder to stay choose "dont install but creat directory"

This post has been edited by Neku: 24 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Try using Visual Studio Installer for making msi packages.
Take a look at the bottom of the following page. You will find links for VSI 1.1.
http://www.vbforums....ad.php?t=592427
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

As bytelogik and I mention, the Visual Studio Installer is Microsoft's standard installer, and it is also free. The PDW has serious problems and is less versatile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1