• (4 Pages)
  • +

Dual Boot Vista and XP (Vista already installed) How to install XP onto your Vista computer Rate Topic: -----

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

are these separate drives or partitions?
Also does it involve SATA drives by chance?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 23 Jul, 2007 - 10:35 AM, said:

are these separate drives or partitions?
Also does it involve SATA drives by chance?

Hi William. Thanks for replying.

Yes, two separate partitions of more than 70GB each on a single drive. Vista was pre-installed on partition 1 (C:) and I installed XP on partition 2 (H:).

Nope, no SATA drives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

greetings,

allright i have a bootloader problem of my own and was hoping to get some support...

to brief you as to my problem:

my dad got a fancy pants new computer a few months ago and got vista home premium

he got tired of half his drivers etc. not working, so he got me to install xp for a dual boot.

now he has a 2 sata hd setup with one partition per hd (dvr as primary master, vista hd third master, xp fourth master)

i popped in the xp cd and started the install process to the second hd, no problem. when it went to reboot to actually install the os it said no operating system found; i assumed it had something to do with the hd setup, so to make my life easier i unplugged the vista hd and left only the destination xp drive plugged in. install went fine except for some drivers missing.

so anyways, i had xp up and running, booting fine with no vista hd but wanted to add the vista hd back so i could configure the dual boot. now i forget exactly which order i did it, but when i set it up to boot from the vista hd i got the same no operating system. when it was set to boot from the xp hd xp loaded fine with vista set as drive D: or F: (i forget; dont think its important but can go look if needed). i forget how i managed it, but i got it to where now if i have it set to boot from the vista hd (as i would like it to) vista will boot up fine, but no xp... if i have it set to boot from the xp hd, then xp will boot fine, but no vista.

i installed vistabootpro or whatever the program is called and it at least thought it found the xp installation, but it doesnt work.

to finalize, here is where i stand now:
depending on which hd i have set to boot from, that os will boot fine.
if i boot to the vista hd i have the option between vista (which works) and a bunch of different xp tries i made with vistabootpro (none of which work)

i want to boot from the vista hd, have the vista bootloader ask to boot to either vista or xp

i just need help setting up the bootloader, and for the life of me i cant get it to work...

ive tried messing with the "windows legacy editor" or whatever from vistabotpro, but i dont know how i should modify the boot paramaters to set xp to boot from the first partition on the second second hd (but not neccicarily the second device)

basically i want to know how to set up the "boot.ini" (from vista) essentially for the xp install

"multi(X)disk(Y)rdisk(Z)partition(Q)..blah blah"
i just want to know maybe what i should put for those variables...
i know its the first partition, but is that a 1 or a 0? (im used to grub so im a bit thrown off)

btw, i dont have a vista cd, but i may be able to scheme one up... and if it would be easiest to set to boot xp hd, load up vista cd, then set up bootloader from vista cd, let me know

hope i didnt confuse anyone; i tried to be as specific as possible. if more details or whatever are needed let me know
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

monl:
try running the XP cd to repair the XP ntdlr files, sounds like there is an issue, then try to replace with the Vista boot loader again.

peedee:
You're gonna need to be specific on the bootloader if you want help setting it up.
Assuming that XP is on the first:
then Vista is:
multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
You will need to check under your BIOS which drive is being determined as drive 0, also with unplugging a drive to install, the XP will install itself as drive(0), when the new settings of plugging in your other drive, may have made it drive(1). Not that this matters much, as the XP boot.ini does not control this behavior. You will need to be careful in this matter as with multiple partitions on a single drive, both boot sectors are in the first partition (no matter the # of partitions/OSs), while on separate drives, the boot sectors are location on the first partition of each drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 25 Jul, 2007 - 01:32 PM, said:

monl:
try running the XP cd to repair the XP ntdlr files, sounds like there is an issue, then try to replace with the Vista boot loader again.

Hi William,

My apologies. Upon second look/checking, you're right, it's a SerialATA drive. So, do you think my problem related to the drive being SATA? What do you think I need to do?

Sorry bout that.

Thanks and cheers,

MonL
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

Okay, so i attempted this fix. Added a partition, pulled out my XP disks, attempted to load it. Wouldn't allow me to do it! Iniatially, the computer wouldn't allow me to use the "Install XP" key, but I turn on the User Accounts program, logged in as Admin, and was able to Install. However, it continued to state that the OS that I'm currently using will not allow me to add an older OS. So, I restarted, booted from the XP disk, and GOT THE SAME ERROR! Help please!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

Nice article .. but it gone abit wrong at the end on rename somehow as followed, it changes my Vista Ult to the XP and left Earlier Version on.
Please help :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

bis_003 and kazie, can you be more specific about your problems?

It has come to my attention that the device boot option needs to be set on some machines. If you are receiving an ntldr error message when booting XP, please amend the bcdedit section to include an extra line:

bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=C:
bcdedit –set {ntldr} device boot
bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

(line 2 is the added line)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

William,

Thanks for the help with dual-booting Vista and XP. I took your advice with the manual fix. My laptop came with Vista Premium installed, so I don't have a Vista boot CD; however, I used your idea of configuring the boot.ini file with the "Boot Configuration Data Store Editor." It worked and I am forever grateful. Thanks again.

Mike Hunter,
San Angelo, TX :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:41 AM

I just bought a Toshiba A200-S01 in which i was told the new model to hit the streets and it has two drive's.
The first drive has vista on it and the second drive is empty.
I have partitioned the second drive with partition manager and booted from the CD and entered setup,but when i try to select a drive to install on it says.
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

i dont know what to do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

I having been running Vista Home edition successfully on a 500GB SATA drive for some time and read a number of articles on VISTA +XP dual boot and decided to try it. I had no problem using the Vista partition tool and crated a 40GB partition to loaded XP Home. Checked that the now (D:) partition was present after reboot, then proceeded to reboot again using the XP Home installation CD. The installation seemed to be successfully and the system rebooted again but now the boot hangs at the ACPI Controller.
I have heard some mention of SATA drive issues but can someone please clarify if this is normal and if I have anyway to solve the problem without reformatting the disc and trying again. Another option could be to buy an old type ATA drive?

Thanks Martyn534
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

I would just like to say that you and your tutorial are wonderful. It was very easy to understand and worked like a charm. I wish I'd found your tutorial first it would have saved me from several hours of extreme frustration.
Thanks,
Lauren
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Hi guys, that's exactly what I needed so thanks for that!!!

I have only another question. I do have XP installation disc but I don't have my Vista installation cd (you know they sell those laptops with vista by default and don't give us the vista installation cd...). Anyways, I phoned them about the cd and asked them if they can afford me this Vista installation cd. They can't afford it but they told me that a restore cd might work (you know the restore tool from system tools...). I want to know what you guys think about it. Can it work or should I buy this vista installation cd?

THANKS!
P-O :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

Yes Dude, Have a problem. Done all the above no problem. But when I get to Booting up with the XP CD it tell me there is not HD in the system. Try it with 80gb patrition then 40gb but it just not read my partition from xp boot cd.

I have a HP Pavilion DV9000 series. I tried booting up with 2003 server disk as well, but it also tell me there is no Partition or HD on the system. Cant install if there is no HD. The only option windows XP give me is F3 to Exit ReStart. When I am in Vista the partition is there. I formated it as NTFS Partition 2 and mount it as Drive D.

Please help. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:47 AM

I recently had my Vista crash on me, my XP was still working but when i reinstalled Vista it got rid of my XP and that isn't meant to happen.

Now i don't even see the boot manager, i go straight into Vista.

I already tried Vista Boot Pro with no success.
I even tried EasyBCD and i got a entry for XP created but the problem is when i boot up in it, it says that NTOSKRNL is missing or currupt and i heard that this is due to a missing boot.ini. So confused.....

here is what my BCD looks like:
Posted Image

Can someone please help?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +