• (4 Pages)
  • +

Dual Boot Vista and XP (Vista already installed) How to install XP onto your Vista computer Rate Topic: -----

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:53 AM

View Postscotland, on 12 Sep, 2008 - 01:27 PM, said:

Yes Dude, Have a problem. Done all the above no problem. But when I get to Booting up with the XP CD it tell me there is not HD in the system. Try it with 80gb patrition then 40gb but it just not read my partition from xp boot cd.

I have a HP Pavilion DV9000 series. I tried booting up with 2003 server disk as well, but it also tell me there is no Partition or HD on the system. Cant install if there is no HD. The only option windows XP give me is F3 to Exit ReStart. When I am in Vista the partition is there. I formated it as NTFS Partition 2 and mount it as Drive D.

Please help. :D

What version of XP are you using? I know the SP2 version seems to be ok with SATA drives, but anything before that may require you to install the drivers during the install process at the "Do you want to install any 3rd party drivers" stage. More information on your system may help us solve the problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

View PostMooMetal, on 15 Nov, 2008 - 06:47 AM, said:

I recently had my Vista crash on me, my XP was still working but when i reinstalled Vista it got rid of my XP and that isn't meant to happen.

Now i don't even see the boot manager, i go straight into Vista.

I already tried Vista Boot Pro with no success.
I even tried EasyBCD and i got a entry for XP created but the problem is when i boot up in it, it says that NTOSKRNL is missing or currupt and i heard that this is due to a missing boot.ini. So confused.....

Do you have Linux on this machine as well? The Real-Mode Boot Sector is usually associated with it, but it could also have been created by EBCD.

My initial suggestion would be to use your XP disc and recover your MBR with it first. using fixmbr and fixboot from the command prompt option, do not use the recovery tool, it really does more harm than good.
Then make sure XP is loading ok and repeat the last steps of the tutorial with the vista disc, using its command prompt option.

If you can get XP working on it's own, setting up the dual boot shouldn't be a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 15 Nov, 2008 - 06:06 AM, said:

View PostMooMetal, on 15 Nov, 2008 - 06:47 AM, said:

I recently had my Vista crash on me, my XP was still working but when i reinstalled Vista it got rid of my XP and that isn't meant to happen.

Now i don't even see the boot manager, i go straight into Vista.

I already tried Vista Boot Pro with no success.
I even tried EasyBCD and i got a entry for XP created but the problem is when i boot up in it, it says that NTOSKRNL is missing or currupt and i heard that this is due to a missing boot.ini. So confused.....

Do you have Linux on this machine as well? The Real-Mode Boot Sector is usually associated with it, but it could also have been created by EBCD.

My initial suggestion would be to use your XP disc and recover your MBR with it first. using fixmbr and fixboot from the command prompt option, do not use the recovery tool, it really does more harm than good.
Then make sure XP is loading ok and repeat the last steps of the tutorial with the vista disc, using its command prompt option.

If you can get XP working on it's own, setting up the dual boot shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for the reply, i've read around and it seems that when you type in fixmbr, xp assumes that it's in C: but my xp is on E:, does it matter?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:48 AM

HELP!

I'm trying to triple boot. I have Vista on C:, Linux on F:, and I am attempting to install XP on G:. I am using EasyBCD running the bootloader.

I have SATA drives, and was able to change the drive from Native to Legacy in order for XP to recognize my HDDs for the XP install.

I installed the first part of XP form the CD, then it went to reboot to "complete the installation" and it won't continue, it won't read from the CD to continue installation. It pauses for a moment then all I get is the dreaded BLUE SCREEN!

It gets to this screen, and completes the install, I get the red-line to reboot:

Posted Image

But then once it reboots and restarts to "complete the installation" all I get the blue screen, therefore, I never get to this screen:

Posted Image

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:05 AM

@MooMetal:
The drive lettering is all relative. If you are in XP your local drive is C: and Vista is X: where X is some other drive letter. If you are in Vista, the Vista partition would become C: and XP another drive letter. fixmbr simply fixes records in the MBR (Master Boot Record) so that you can choose an OS.

@ NorthfieldMaui:
Once your computer restarts it will rarely read from the disc as it has been cached locally for a faster installation. What exactly is the error you are receiving on the blue screen?
As a note, EasyBCD shouldn't be required, once you install XP and restore the vista boot loader all you should have to do is re-install grub and the triple boot should work. If you are more comfortable using EBCD then you can stay with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 16 Nov, 2008 - 06:05 AM, said:

@ NorthfieldMaui:
Once your computer restarts it will rarely read from the disc as it has been cached locally for a faster installation. What exactly is the error you are receiving on the blue screen?
As a note, EasyBCD shouldn't be required, once you install XP and restore the vista boot loader all you should have to do is re-install grub and the triple boot should work. If you are more comfortable using EBCD then you can stay with it.

....Run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption, then restart.

Tech info:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78A2524,0XC0000032, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

Try reading: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I would also check that the cables are properly inserted. Seeing as it is a SATA drive I doubt this is an issue, but always worth a check.

Is this a new computer or new hdd?
I assume this is Windows XP and not Windows XP Embedded, there is an extreme difference in them.
Try switching the drive back to Native before startup attempts to resume after the reboot, this one shouldn't solve the problem, but you never know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hey there!

For some days now, I am trying to make dual-boot on an originally Vista 64bit system on 1 SATA HD.

My XP 32bit (with SP 2) doesn't want to install, after making a new partition (F:) on my HD (C: is Vista, D: is recovery, E: dvd-drive, F: XP partion). After loading the files for XP, I always get bluescreen:

exact error: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,Ox00000000)

I allready tried to install SATA drivers trough F6, but nothing happens when I put in DVD with drivers...

Any sugestions?

Thank you very much!

This post has been edited by TripSonic: 25 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

I tried fixmbr and fixboot but i still couldn't fix it.
I used the XP disc, it just gave me this error similar to this:
"Windows could not start becuase the following file is missing or corrupt: ntoskrnl.exe"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

William:

Thank you William for this wonderful tutorial...and you've been around for quite some time...kudos.

I followed your tutorial and the replies inorder to find out where I went wrong in my own attempt to dual boot Vista/XP.
In the first place, after shrinking the Vista partition I got a logical drive and not a primary partition. And I did exactly as the tutorial says.

I have installed XP on the new partition but it works well only when I disable native SATA support in the BIOS and when it's boot record is the one in control. Of course Vista doesn't boot in this situation. When I write the Vista boot record with the Vista disc, it doesn't boot unless I go back to enable the native SATA support from the BIOS. But there after, the XP doesn't boot again. Most times I get a flash of blue screen and then a system restart. Going back to disable native SATA again brings up XP but downs Vista with the same flash of blue screen.

I have tried all the fixes from your replies up till now but no avail.

What do I do? Thanks in anticipation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

First of all thanks for all of the advice given here. It has helped me out no end so far. I seem to have a strange occurence and I'm not sure why this happens, or if its intentional.

I've shrunk the vista partition and installed xp on it
I've fixed the MBR using the method above and I can get the machine to boot into xp and vista.

Strangely tho it takes two attempts to get into an operating system if i've been in the other.
for example.

I boot into Vista... no problem. Reboot into XP to do some work and it restarts the machine. If I select Xp again it says that there was a problem please choose one of the following options. I choose Start normally and away it goes.

Finish with XP and try to boot in Vista it does the same, but without the "choose one of these options" screens.

It always needs to boot twice when swapping OS.

Now I realise it works but it's quite irritating.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

Hi William !
I did it and it works perfect !
But I have a problem: My Vista Activation was canceled and now I get this line in My Computer's properties: " You have so and so days left for you activation".
Can You help me with this !?
Thanks in advance !!

This post has been edited by Esteban: 16 January 2009 - 06:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

Hi William !
I did it and it works perfect !
But I have a problem: My Vista Activation was canceled and now I get this line in My Computer's properties: " You have so and so days left for you activation".
Can You help me with this !?
Thanks in advance !!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

i got the instuctions on the dual boot got everything great but when i put the xp disk in to put it on the xp drive i make it only gives me the option of the C drive which is vista any clue what i can do with this
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

hey william i got this far and the only thing i show is C; drive and i got the other steps i show d in the system but now when i put xp in goes threw a bit then come up with just C i copied your pic and put it in i am missing d: any suggestions on this one

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +