I want to franchise my local social network out

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 1697 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want to franchise my local social network out

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

i built a social network that the county in my state uses. i would like to expand it out to other counties in the united states. what would be a good way to do this?
i was thinking about asking for 50$ upfront and a small %10 of money made on the site. all sites would get a say in what is happening over all and each one would be able to customize there own to a certain extent.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to franchise my local social network out

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to franchise my local social network out

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

You might want to start by making sure the site is actually written in legal HTML. Assuming the site in question is the one in your signature, there are a lot of errors that should be fixed.

Most importantly, you've got actual content in the <head> element, and otherwise outside the <body> element. - The <head> element should only have meta-data about the page, not the HTML that displays the header. All the content of the site, including what you would show in the header part of the page, should be inside the <body> tags. - If that doesn't make sense, keep in mind that these elements are not actually a part of the page displayed to the user. They are essentially meant as an imitation of the HTTP request/response format, where a header is sent first with info about the content, followed by the body of the request where the content is.

Use the W3C Markup Validator to see exactly what all the other errors are.

Also, you seem to be using a character set that doesn't exist (or is at least very rare.) That is: iso-5589-1. Are you sure you didn't mean the more common iso-8859-1?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I don't think that would effect to much. the site works just fine without that "legal html" but say i did do all that stuff what would be the best way to go from there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

POPULAR

View Postmikelash, on 22 February 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I don't think that would effect to much. the site works just fine without that "legal html"...

Ya bit ef yo wrt it not crctly thn ppl nly tht can accnt fr de errs wll yo undrstnd.

Notice that what I wrote there is probably understandable by most native English speakers, as they can make sense of the jumbled words and structure and piece it into what the proper English sentence should be. However non-native English speakers; those who may do fine with properly written English but who don't necessarily know it completely, will likely have a hard time making that out. Then there are also the computers to consider. How do you think a computer program, written to translate English, would do trying to make sense of that?

It's the same thing with your broken HTML. A lot of browsers, due to the fact that a big portion of the web is actually written in broken HTML, have been written to do "error correction" on such pages, in order to try and guess what the authors intent was, and do it's best to show something close to that. - However different browsers will do that in different ways, and you have no guarantee that the differences between browsers - or even between different versions of the same browser - will "correct" your errors in the same way. You may very well find that tomorrows update of Firefox, or the silent Chrome updates, will completely mess up how your site is displayed.- Add to that the fact that the last couple of years have added a number of additional, widely used mobile devices, all of which show HTML pages using a variety of different browsers, and using broken HTML is clearly just asking for trouble.

View Postmikelash, on 22 February 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

... but say i did do all that stuff what would be the best way to go from there?

I honestly can't help you there. Sorry. I've never tried to market a product like that. - I'll bet, though, that if any of your potential customers know a thing or two about HTML, the current state of your site won't do you any favors.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

View Postmikelash, on 22 February 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

i built a social network that the county in my state uses. i would like to expand it out to other counties in the united states. what would be a good way to do this?
i was thinking about asking for 50$ upfront and a small %10 of money made on the site. all sites would get a say in what is happening over all and each one would be able to customize there own to a certain extent.

Ok let's put it a different way. There is no way that anybody in their right mind is going to pay $50 to go onto a site with no users and made in paint. Please consider your competition of Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest et cetera.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Just found an extremely serious vulnerability with the site!

System 	Linux starka.x10hosting.com 2.6.18-274.18.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Feb 9 12:45:44 EST 2012 x86_64 

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

There are so many issues with this site it's extremely easy cause damage to it's contents and has many vulnerabilities.

You need to test it more thoroughly by trying to break it yourself. for example get around the login system (which I did in about 5 seconds).

You should really compare it to your rivals as explained by others on here as they offer a free service which is reasonably reliable and ask yourself, if I was a user why would I choose this site over the others, what does it offer?

Finally you need to check if the data and posts are safe if your going to do this seriously.

Perhaps get someone to view and test your website with you who won't hold back there opinions.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

I've sent him a PM with all the vulnerabilities I found.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks to our British brothers for stepping up to the plate! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

I dont know where to look for his site nor am i going to. It all ways interests me how use you get around/test a login page i know you wont tell but i must look into it some time eg how to "test" wink wink a page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Sigh... as stated before, so many exploits. Sir, I'm going to send you a PM with my findings. But, overall, I like the concept of the site :bigsmile: . The execution is just a bit rough around the edges.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

thanks for explaining the exploits of the site i will make sure to try and fix them. but i hope the site didnt come off as something that costed money its free to make accounts, the site is just very localy ran it is only for the small county i live in but it does fairly well here. that is why i was looking to see if someone would want one in there county
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

is there any way i can close this thread? my site is being spammed and hacked into now
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

You can remove the link from your signature. Nobody actually linked to it in the thread.

Edit: Seems my W3C Validator link included it, but I've removed that reference.

This post has been edited by Atli: 24 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

View Postm_wylie85, on 23 February 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

I dont know where to look for his site nor am i going to. It all ways interests me how use you get around/test a login page i know you wont tell but i must look into it some time eg how to "test" wink wink a page.

By get around I was meaning that you can login with no password or username entered or simply just put the mainpage's url in.

This post has been edited by Cocker081288: 24 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +