• +
  • Last »

115 Replies - 4818 Views - Last Post: 15 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

More Gun Control... Or More Guns

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

With the recent VA Tech shootings, the debate over gun control is at the forefront again.

Do you think there should be more gun control laws preventing legal aliens from owning guns? The shooter purchased his guns legally, but could this have been prevented if he weren't able to purchase a gun?

What if just one person at that school had a concealed weapon on them. Would that person have been able to stop the shooter before so many people were killed? In most US campuses, guns are not allowed. Not all states allow concealed carry.

So... more gun control, or more guns.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: More Gun Control... Or More Guns

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: More Gun Control... Or More Guns

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

i would want to say more gun control laws
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Demandred I would like to ask you to explain your position. Why do you feel that more laws are necessary?

My retort is going to start off with; If the existing laws and threat of punishment for breaking those laws were not enough of a deterrent to prevent a mad man bent on going out in a blaze of glory, what good would more laws do?

My initial point if the university would have went into "lock down" after the initial murders of the ex-girlfriend and the RA that tried to stop him as is procedure for all of the schools I have prepared contingency plans for then this greater tragedy may have been prevented.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

everyone knows i'm with thorian on this one
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• still.dreaming
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

After the Port Arthur shootings in Australia, the government straight away enforced law prohibiting semi- and full- automatics and heavily restricting hand guns and even knives with blades +12cm in length.

People without re-registered guns had to take their weapons to the police for destruction. Re-registration based on the new laws was not easy and most people had their weapons confiscated and destroyed.

You can not go to a shop a buy a gun using just your ID or similar. I've never even seen a gun shop in Australia, for that matter.

There's the black market, of course. How it works and how successfully, I don't know. I know that nobody is afraid to go to school, uni or shopping centre. There is no fear that you're gonna get shot by a freak.

Is this a solution? I don't know.. but it's a start. If I had to make a choice I would do EVERYTHING in my power to stop weapons getting onto the street.

Period.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:26 AM

I'm not sure how increasing gun control laws would do anything. It may become harder for a normal person to get a gun, but if I were an insane lunatic who wanted to kill people, I would not be so concerned about obtaining the gun legally (that is, to purchase it from a questionable source).

I agree that the school should have acted faster, and we wouldn't have quite the recordbreaker happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:32 AM

statistics show that at least in the midwest region of the united states that when there is a government backed forceful drop in the supply of weapon sales, that there is a proportionate increase in that of the "black market" which is done by undocumented sales and correlating (very localized so it's pretty precise) income and expenditure models with crime rates and other police data. since the crime rates with weapons vs time graph is horizontally proportional to time but small however still linearly to the population which is disregarding all of the present politics.

my theory has always been, if someone's gonna go shooting, they're gonna go shooting. and at least in the majority of the us, it's a pretty statistically accurate one
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Perhaps my experience of a medic and handling evidence at crime scenes for the St Louis Police Dept. Has made me cold to the situation. 75% of all Gunshot wounds I have treated or hauled off a car for ( dead guys cant drive) were gang bangers or drug dealers shooting each other.

They don't buy legal weapons they don't obey laws anyway. Prison is not a deterrent to them. The only solution is for armed victims to return fire.

If Gun control laws work so well how come there are still gun crimes in england They have all but banned all firearms since 1997 and now their biggest concern is knife crime. Crime has not gone down but increased. the same as with Washington D.C. Chicaco and L.A. If you are unable to defend your self who will? The police? The supreme court ruled that the police are not responsible for protecting you and cannot be legally held liable for not responding to your calls for help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 18 Apr, 2007 - 06:35 AM, said:

Do you think there should be more gun control laws preventing legal aliens from owning guns? The shooter purchased his guns legally, but could this have been prevented if he weren't able to purchase a gun?

No, that would be absolute bullshit. It could have been a 60 year old man who has been American his whole life. Who the kid was that did the shooting should in no way alter the type of people that can purchase guns, plain and simple.

View Postskyhawk133, on 18 Apr, 2007 - 06:35 AM, said:

What if just one person at that school had a concealed weapon on them. Would that person have been able to stop the shooter before so many people were killed? In most US campuses, guns are not allowed. Not all states allow concealed carry.

I think guns should be allowed in college campuses, or at least the teacher should be able to pack teh heat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

There is no reason for a student to have a gun on a college campus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

30% of students won't be allowed to anyway
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

View PostMarkoDaGeek, on 18 Apr, 2007 - 04:18 PM, said:

There is no reason for anyone to have a gun.
Only police and military should be allowed to carry them.

Guns don't kill people, dumb people kill people.
However guns do make it very easy for them.
Ban guns and restrict or even forbid the sale of guns. Why would you want to have a gun?! To play tag with friends?!
Don't tell me it's to protect yourself, that's BS. If you need a gun to protect yourself then you are living in the wrong neighborhood.

However with the campus shootings, university and police should have gone in lock down and started a intensive hunt to find the shooter.

edit: I also believe that if people would have had concealed weapons, it would have been much worse. Unless they had some police or military training.

This post has been edited by AngeluS: 18 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

View PostMarkoDaGeek, on 18 Apr, 2007 - 10:18 AM, said:

Care to elaborate on that one there Hoss?

Counter point: I have a bud on the US shooting team that got a full ride to Lindenwood University for his shooting skill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

if someone's fully qualified and of age who purchased their gun legally, there also is no reason not to allow them, mark jr.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

We have very strict laws restricting (prohibiting) gun control.
Bottom line: police is not afraid to use excessive force and brutality against protestors sometimes (you might have seen it on the news a couple of months back - when even a veteran tank was put into action, actually by the protestors...), because they know that they can not be harmed.
We don't have shootings in schools. However I think it is not because of the laws, because if I wan't to get a gun on the black market, I am sure I could.
So I would say that people should have access to guns, because those who shouldn't have can get one anyway.
So what about bazookas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »