1 Replies - 5850 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2012 - 07:10 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Advice: Managing dev/prod servers and workflow

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hello, thanks for your help.

I am currently running coldfusion dev server on my local machine, I use dreamweaver cs3 for coding/ftp, and have a shared hosting account with crystaltech. I want to create a local test environment that runs on my coldfusion test server, and be able to push those files to a live web server preferably with a dev.sitename.com extension.

In dreamweaver I have a site called "sitename1". I have created a "testing server" with the local root of \coldfusion9\wwwroot\sitename1, my "Local Info" root folder is off my C:\\websites\sitename1\, and my remote folder is the \test\ folder off my TLD.. so www.sitename1.com\test\.

I can't seem to keep the files from the local testing server and my local info synced. When I'm working in the local testing server and open a file I get the option "would you like to overwrite your local version of this file?".. Also not all the files in the local testing environment we in the local info folder. Even though the local folder is the local folder of the test server, these seemed to be no connection.

What's the best way to work in a dev environment where you have a testing server, local files and a shared host? How do I set up dreamweaver for best workflow and file management?

Thanks for your help.

Petro

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Advice: Managing dev/prod servers and workflow

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need Advice: Managing dev/prod servers and workflow

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hey petrolite, welcome to DIC!

Hm...well, to start, this is less a CF question than it is a development environment question. I'm probably going to be a little less than helpful on this as I jettisoned using Dreamweaver somewhere around 8 years ago now. Due to that, I have zero idea what DW offers in terms of connectivity. You'll find that each dev has a different preferred environment and IDE to do their work in. The combinations are fairly endless of what you could use to get the job done.

That said, I too have CF9 installed locally on my laptop and have both dev and production servers that I move code out to when the code's ready for such. I currently use Eclipse 3.6.2 (I believe they call this version Helios) with the CFEclipse and Subversion plugins (for .svn connectivity). What we do here is we have our dev servers populated only with code that gets committed to the Subversion repository. Once that code's been tested and given the thumbs up, I have a FTP connection direct to the production boxes (I like FireFTP on the Firefox browser) and I physically move the code out to production. I keep my local code synched with Subversion. The folks I contract with have their own Subversion repository in house and I have personal project repositories via ProjectLocker and I can access both via Eclipse.

Short answer is: there is no "best way" per se because it will come down to personal preferences and consideration of how many other devs could be working with the same codebase.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1