2 Replies - 4486 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2012 - 07:27 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about which code to use

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hello,
I am a first time coder, by this I mean I can create a very basic web page using basic html and css that is it.

I would like to try to create a hidden object game which can be run on a computer (with out having to be played on the internet), but I am unsure which code I should be learning (first or at all) to make one. Can you please give me examples on which coding languages I should be looking into to undergo such a project? Also which ones I should start with first?

Sorry for the basic question, but thanks for your help and time.

PixelPixi

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about which code to use

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about which code to use

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

This is a question almost everyone asks. And a question there are so many answers too. Take for example, you have C++, C#, Php(Web Based Game) VB, Python and don't forget the custom languages that people have made to make programming easier.

Just because you can code in HTML and CSS doesn't make you a programmer. HTML and CSS are web development scripting languages that are executed via your browser. In my personal opinion, C++ is the hardest programming language to learn and successfully create a viable source for a game. C# is an easy language to learn. It's Object Orientated (As well as C++) which in my opinion makes programming more 'flexible'.

There are many tutorials for beginners online. Take the following:

Don't forget the graphics library to use. This could be, DirectX, OpenGL or SDL.

I would first choose a programming language, then spend quite a while learning that language until you have a confident level of skill and you can personally feel like you can move to graphics.

I hope my answer was helpful and I wish you luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about which code to use

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

Before you even think about creating a game of any kind, you need to start learning the programming basics. Do some research on the various languages and find one that you think would interest you. Once you've decided on a language to learn, don't try to find game programming tutorials for that language. Find basic tutorials for the language itself and general programming knowledge such as algorithms. Once you have a firm grasp of the basics of programming, you can think start thinking about game programming. Without a solid foundation of general knowledge, you're going to miss out on a lot of things that will come back to haunt you later on. Programming isn't something that you can learn in a matter of weeks. It's something that you strive to learn for years and no matter how many years you've been programming, there will always be something else to learn. Try not to rush it, otherwise you're going to get frustrated and eventually give up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1